hmmm

for the past few days my dd has been pulling on her ears, i have taken to the dr quite a few times cause i thought it was an infection but it wasnt. well this has been going on this time for a few days and when i cleaned her ears the other day and it took 5 q-tips to clean it out! it was all yellow and gross. these past 2 days she has been fussy and not napping like usual and fussin at night too. i heard ear infections can get pretty bad but its 10:00 on a friday and i wont be able to call the dr till monday! she had a slight fever 99.8 and now she has diarreha she has pooped 5 times today.....what should i do. not all the poops are diarreha but its still pooping

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard that it's not good to use q-tips in the ear (baby or adult) because it pushes the wax in.

Personally, I still use them. But, you might want to not use them on a baby.

Keep an eye on her. That's not really a fever. If it gets higher, or if she seems to be having a LOT of watery stools, put in a call to the doc office, there should be a service that contacts your doctor or a covering doctor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• did you know babies pull on their ears when they have a stomach ache? wierd huh. My son faked me out several times. Also remember your not supposed to stick qtips in the ear canal as that can cause an OUTER ear infection. I put money on there is something going on with that little tummy. Please have her evaluated in an er it doesnt take much for a baby to get dehydrated
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Aside from the ear pulling, all those symptoms seem like signs of teething. If she has tugged on her ears in the past and the doc said she didn't have an ear infection, it may just be a quarky behavior of hers. My daughter has a lot fo ear wax sometimes too and I asked the doctor about it and he didn't seem concerned. It is just that their little ears are so small that it gets packed in there pretty good.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• she she the age to be teething? sound like that to me.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 10:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Two questions.... How was the temp taken, and how old is she? Don't use q-tips! It pushes it in. I always let mine lay in the bathtub with just enough water to kind of wash their ears out. Mine loved it. If she is still drinking and peeing then I'm sure she is fine but if she doesn't keep anything down and depending on her age you should call the doctor's office. I don't know of any doctor that doesn't have either an answering service or recording telling you what to do in case of emergency. My dd pulled at her ears when she was tired. She "tricked" me more than once. :-)
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 10:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• almost 9 mos. rectal temp
    Anonymous

• probably teething, you literally just described my last month and my DS just pushed out two teeth. still you shoud take her to your doctor on monday if you're worried.
    Anonymous

• Could be teething or an ear inf. When my son had an ear infection, he wouldn't sleep and would cry when ever I laid him down. And he had a low grade fever.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:04 AM on Mar. 14, 2009