how much does it cost to adopt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Adoption

• We were in the process of adopting from Korea in 2002 when I got PG. At that time, it was about $23,000.00. Unfortunately, we lost about $3,000.00 that the adoption agency would not return, but we got a little blessing of our own. However, we planned on trying for adoption again in 2004, but found out prices had gone up even further, so we decided to be happy with one.

I have a friend who has two boys from Russia. She spent over $80,000.00 between them. They are now broke, but extremely happy with the two little boys.

I have another friend who went through private adoptions, had five failed ones and had a baby for a month and the mother came back for it! Now they have no children and out about $15,000.00-$20,000.00.

I have known people to adopt through foster care. Some people I know have had good luck others heartache, but it all depends upon the situation.

Adoption is a wonderful thing though.

MTmomfromMI

Answer by MTmomfromMI at 8:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• it depends when going through the foster care system it often costs nothing and in some cases the county even continues to pay you (usually when adopting a special needs child) I know adopting internationally is VERY expensive. My SIL spent over $40,000 to get her child (who is a beautiful little korean boy) Did you know there are over 250,000 children in the foster care system right now who are available fro adoption? There is a huge need!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• That depends on the type of adoption you want to complete. Applications with most agencies are usually $150-$400. Home studies range from $1000-$2500.

Some domestic adoptions through your local state agency are less expensive. Private adoptions can get very expensive, and range from $10K-$40K, depending on where you are, the agency you go through, etc. International adoptions are also expensive and can range from $15K-$40K, depending on the country, etc.

Many agencies offer financial assistance if you are willing to adopt a child with special needs or a child who is older, generally age 5 and up.

Once your adoption is finalized, you are eligible for a tax credit up to $10K (maybe higher) for that year.

Contact your local DSHS--- they can get you started on the info gathering.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My SIL and BIL ,Adopted a little boy from Russia,and it was about 40 grand.,But he is worth every penny.He is so sweet,and smart.
    Anonymous

• We adopted through foster care and we only had to pay $16.50 out of pocket for her birth certificate. Attorney's fees, court costs, homestudy fees, etc. were all paid for by the state. And the first poster is right, you can be eligible for monthly adoption subsidies and/or medical cards.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 7:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• "Unfortunately, we lost about $3,000.00 that the adoption agency would not return, but we got a little blessing of our own."

You would have had a little blessing of your own either way : D Kids through adoption are just as much one's own as any other way to build a family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Our adoptions through foster care cost us nothing and we continue to recieve adoption assistance money every month because our children have excema. They were 3 days old when we got them and 14 months when the adoption was final.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Each situation is very different.

The first time I adopted 3 kids that were family and it was court costs only. About $350. My last adoption was international, I spent $48,000. The agency told me to expect $28,000, but their figures are never accurate. I also took my mother to my daughters birth country and paying for plane tickets and spending a month in another country adds up quickly. What is not added into that figure is time off of work, that adds up more quickly than you expect.

My friend adopted through foster/adopt and it was much less expensive, I think she ended up spending about 3,000 between the homestudy and classes she took. You will have to pay for a homestudy, and you will get a tax credit to help offset some of the expenses.

The best advice I can give anyone wanting to adopt is start a savings account and put away every penny you can. If you have money left over, congratulations!
    Anonymous