Bottle & Pillow

I was just wondering when you can stop propping your childs head while he drinks his bottle and also when can he have a pillow to sleep with? Thanks for your help.

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 10:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is only 9 months, so he doesn't have a pillow yet. Maybe around a year or so, we'll put one in there. I agree with the above answer about the dental problems...my brother had bottles in the crib and he had problems with his teeth. You may not want him getting in that habit. Have you tried to gradually eliminate that middle of the night feeding? That's what we did with my son, it might help in your situation. I gradually reduced the amount of the night feeding and increased the amount at bedtime and early morning. Eventually, it was down to just a couple ounces if woke up, and then we tried soothing him to sleep with no bottle. Now, he still wakes up during the night sometimes (he has some reflux), but he will go back to sleep without a bottle...just soothing or bringing him to bed with us if nothing else works. He doesn't expect a bottle anymore until 5am. Not a quick fix, but maybe you'll get more sleep soon.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I wouldnt let a child lay flat to drink a bottle if thats what you mean. Would you want to eat laying flat? I would think that would cause reflux and choking problems. As for the pillow, I put a small one in my sons crib when he was about a year old.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• well..propping is a touchy issue. It CAN be dangerous if you arent careful. Never prop a babys bottle and walk away. Never prop a bottle while baby is strapped into something such as swing, car seat, bouncer. Never be out of earshot of baby. Never be out of eyesight of baby. Only do it you have no other choice. Never prop the bottle in the crib then walk away. Its not safe to give a baby a pillow until probably after 2 years of age. They dont need them and they are dangerous.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i would prop his head until he can feed himself. That sphinctyer (sp?) remains underdeveloped until they are six months allowing food and formula to go back up the esophogus which is intensified when they are lying down.. As far as a pillow to sleep with i believe its 12 months
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• ahhh. just realized you werent askin about propping the bottle, so ignore all that.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I guess I should clarify, he still wakes up in the middle of the night for a bottle I was wondering if I could just give him his bottle in his crib instead of rocking him for 1/2 hour, which I love to do but this momma is tired, he's nine months old. Guess I should just get used to it huh.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 10:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If he can hold his bottle, then I'd let him hold it how he wants, he should be fine. HOWEVER, you probably shouldn't get in habit of leaving him with a bottle in a crib - it can lead to dental problems.

I started giving my son a flat pillo in his bed around 10/11 months.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009