How often...

Does or should a 2month old poops!?!? She is eating about ever 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. But she only seems to poop like once or twice a day. And when she does it seems to be kinda hard for her to work it out. I thought it was cause of her vitamins I was told to put her on. So we stopped them. But she is still having issues. Any help on how I can help her!?!? BTW she is a Breast fed baby.

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The number of times a day is fine. Some babies poop many times a day, some poop once every few days. Both are fine.
    If she is straining to poop, that's a problems. So is poop that is really BIG or poop that looks like little hard pellets. All of those can mean she is constipated.
    Take her in to the doctor. Take a poop sample too if it looks like either of my examples.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'll leave the breast fed baby stuff up to the moms who did that with their babies, but I will tell you every baby is different with how often they poop. The important thing is they don't go more than two days without doing it. Call her pediatrician if it doesn't happen in 48 hours.

I do know that too much iron will cause poop to be hard. Maybe it's still in her body and that's why she's having trouble. Wait and see.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my pediatrician said it is not quantity just quality. if the poop is hard and painful to push then there is a problem but if it is loose its fine. some babies poop after every feeding some once a week, every baby is different.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 11:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Kaycee is right. Also, you should know that breast milk is almost 100% usable by your baby's body. So, when baby is going through a growth spurt...you may even find baby doesn't poop for a whole week. I had a doctor tell me that he didn't want a phone call about the frequency (not quality) of poo unless I hadn't seen one in a week.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:26 AM on Mar. 14, 2009