How do i get my 14 month old to sleep in his bed?

I made the mistake of letting my son sleep with me when he was first born. Now i want my bed back!! I've tried everything...music, stuffed animals, giving him a treat before i put him in his crib, letting him "cry himself to sleep" (yeah right! I've let him cry for an hour and a half before! Broke my heart). Apparently i'm not doing something right!! So any advice AT ALL is much appreciated!!!

stephanied_425

Asked by stephanied_425 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does he sleep alone during nap time? try laying with him until he passes out I mean to where you can pick him up and move him to his own bed. sooner or later your gonna have to get him to sleep alone, and the best time is now . the longer you wait the harder it is...as you can tell by now...lol . best of luck and remember the sooner the better for you both
    booboo32

Answer by booboo32 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• dr. fergeson is a pedi who specializes in this. His reccomendation is to put them in their bed let them cry for 10 minutes go in check on them console them but stay no longer than five minutes and repeat that cycle until your child falls asleep. From what I have heard it is a long adn vicious road but if you stand firm it will work. I would start on a weekend when you dont have much to do since you will all most likely be so tired you can barely function the first few days
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• lmao.. seems we have a lot of things in common with our little ones... my dd is 14 months and I am having the same problem. Right now the only thing I can do is let her fall asleep in my bed, then I move her to her crib.. it seems to be working.. eventually I will try dr. fergeson's advice.. for now.. this seems to be working.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Gradually do this and see if it helps..pretty much works for mine. Sleep with him in his..then when he's finally asleep, go to your bed..if you put the bed close to yours, when he wakes up and sees that you're close to him, he'll go back to sleep. Don't think you did anything wrong..in Child Development class, they say that children are closer to their parents when they sleep close to them. So close that they are more open to talking about mom and pop..like.."Oh I remember dad having a mustache..etc."
    PrimeRib

Answer by PrimeRib at 3:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009