Okay, I have just about freaking HAD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am about to rip my dang hair out

I love my DD w/ all my heart- I really do. But I am so stinking frustrated with her right now. For about 6 weeks now she has pretty much refused to eat. Just about everything I give her, she just flings it on the floor. The things she will eat, she only has a bit-MAYBE 2 then throws it on the ground. I do NOT KNOW what to do. She still BF's, once in the morning & once before bed. I have tried the whole "she will eat when she is hungry" but that backfires because then she just wants to BF & will scream until she gets the boob, I mean scream to the point that she will make herself sick if I do not give in to her. She is already small for her age (she is almost 16 months old) & if she keeps this up she will lose weight and fall off the growth chart altogether. I have seriously tried EVERYTHING. I am at my wits end. I can not get her an appointment until the second week of April. What do I do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Can you contact your local breastfeeding group for advice on weaning problem solutions?

*hugs* I wish I could help you more. Hang in there~
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would just nurse her. The breastmilk has more healthy calories than any solids you could give her. The World Health Organization does recommend nursing to age two.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If she is wanting to nurse more and eat less that is probably what she needs. It is higher in nutrients, fat and calories than most solids. Restricting breastmilk will NOT get a child to eat more solids. Get this book MY CHILD WON’T EAT! HOW TO PREVENT AND SOLVE THE PROBLEM, by Carlos Gonzales, M.D
    Here is an excerpt: ‘What do you do if a child, at fifteen months, after eating normally since he was six months old, now does not want to eat? His only thought is to nurse…once he turned a year, he started to reject food and only wants to breastfeed.’

What should be done? Nothing. If you leave well enough alone, in a few weeks or months the baby will once again be interested in other food. If instead you try to make him eat other foods, or try to withhold breastfeeding, so that he will start eating other foods, it will probably take longer and be much harder on you."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It sounds as if she is practicing her boundaries and control. One thing babies and toddlers have control over is their eating and their pooing and peeing. It sounds as if she just wants that little control and to be patient. My 17 month old does the food thing as well and he breastfeeds too. He will start out good with the meal and before you know it his food is being chucked over the side of his high chair. What I did to help the mess and to get more foods in his sytem...I giave him a little at a time on his tray. This works and it keeps him busy. He starts playing with his food I then take it away.

Also what really helps is keep a bunch of healthy snack food type munchies in the house and give your little one some munchies here and there through out the day. Some kids just need to snack througout the day. Breastfeeding is the same control issues. Hang in there! Patience is a useful tool!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 1:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Most of you won't like what I have to say but I am going to say it any way. I refused to let my child literally starve. He would have ended up back in the hospital. He was in there for 2 mos. I was warned by all of the doctors that I would have a problem getting him to eat solid foods and drink any thing. (They wouldn't release him until he was able to take in food and drink.) I consulted the doctors, the speech therapists, the lactation consultant and a dietician. Shoot, I even talked to the social worker at the hospital about the problem. What I did worked. When he was released, I had to force feed him and my dh had to help or there would be food everywhere. He was six mos old when I had to start feeding him this way. After a few months, he was eating most foods without giving me a hard time. You can contact me if you would like to know what I had to do to get him to eat without too much difficulty.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:22 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Continue BF.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009