Okay, I have just about freaking HAD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am about to rip my dang hair out (PIOA)

I love my DD w/ all my heart- I really do. But I am so stinking frustrated with her right now. For about 6 weeks now she has pretty much refused to eat. Just about everything I give her, she just flings it on the floor. The things she will eat, she only has a bit-MAYBE 2 then throws it on the ground. I do NOT KNOW what to do. She still BF's, once in the morning & once before bed. I have tried the whole "she will eat when she is hungry" but that backfires because then she just wants to BF & will scream until she gets the boob, I mean scream to the point that she will make herself sick if I do not give in to her. She is already small for her age (she is almost 16 months old) & if she keeps this up she will lose weight and fall off the growth chart altogether. I have seriously tried EVERYTHING. I am at my wits end. I can not get her an appointment until the second week of April. What do I do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• call your pediatrician if for nothing else to have her weighed. Having them actually see the scale drop maylight a fire under their behind to have her seen. In the mean time I guess I would just give her the breast as much as she wants or is possible. Is she capable of expressing what she would LIKE to eat? Maybe if she can pick she would eat soemthing (barring unhealthy things of course)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My first question would be whats going on that she only wants to BF? Is something different that she needs that comfort? Many children at that age begin to get picky and refuse to eat. Sometimes its because they are drinking alot. Is she getting lots of drink during the day? Don't stress to much. She could be having some insecurities for some reason. Don't make eating a power struggle because even if she doesn't understand it she will love the fight.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 11:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• She really only wants to BF lately. Sometimes she will take a cup, but would rather have me.
    Occasionally she will say "cracker" or "p p" (peaches) or "cookie"
    Anonymous

• I've had two heavy drinkers so far. My son has just finally in that past year gotten off having to carry a cup around everywhere he goes and he's 5 1/2! My DD is the same way with drinking, but she eats pretty good too. Will your DD eat if you set something out and just let her graze on it as she plays? Finger foods like cereal, crackers, non messy fruit, etc. work great for the grazers. I know we as parents really like to try to get the kids to eat at their chair or family table, but sometimes they are "too busy" to sit and eat. She could also may be texture sensitive or maybe her tummy has been upset for some reason or another. I would be concerned too, if it's been going on 6 monthes, but without knowing practically every detail of your DD's life, it's hard to even start giving ideas for why she's not eating.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Maybe wean her? I don't know, never been in that situation and hope things work out soon.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• not sure about getting her to eat, but I would defiinately make her clean up all the food she throws and clean the floor in that area. You can't force her to eat, but throwing food to the floor at her age isn't acceptible- at least it wasn't with me. Also at that age, younger even, my kids chose their foods. (we only had good/acceptible choices, so I never had to worry about them asking for chips or cookies- we didn't have them)

does she ask for the food and then throw it after she has requested it? or do you just give her food and she decided she desn't like it? If it were my child, & she is throwing food that she has not asked for, I would just wait till my child asked for something specifically and give that. and only offer 1-2 bites and then wait for my child to ask for more. then if she asked for a 3rd and 4th and 5th bite. I'd offer more next time

She'll be ok until you get to her appointment in April, I think
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It seems she not eating because she knows she can get away with it that you will gove into her. My son does that to me and my partner has like 1-2 mouthfulls then refuses to eat anymore. Now it may sound bad but we make him eat it and he eventually eats the rest of his dinner without a problem because he realises he has lost the battle and we will not give into him. Some nights he will take what we give him without a fight but if he is tired or in a bad mood he will try and fight for the sake of fighting. I usually give him to the count of 3 and if he doesnt open his mouth I force it. I have been told that sometimes is the only way to teach a kid that the have to eat what is given to them. I hope it all works out.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• There may be a serious problem talk to thedoc. If they say she is fine. Leave her scream and fuss all she wants If she make herself sick make sure she doesn't but let her continue till she is done. You may have to step out a few times so have some one to help take over if you need a moment. but DONT give in no matter what NO TIT. A child will not starve them selves. I promise you that. So NO SNACKS until she eats the food you give her. And ABSOLUTELY NO TIT!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Her speech is still pretty limited. She does not really ask for anything. I buy only organic, healthy foods. Cookie to her is organic graham crackers. And honestly, she does not really get the concept of cleaning up after herself. I give her (well I try, she does not really accept it) a well rounded, well balanced diet, from all the basic food groups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• she won't get the concept of cleaning until you make her do it and do it with her. hold her hand and guide it to pick up each piece.

and I just had my kids say Yes or No to a few options of food. pointing to things in the cupboard.
    I'd ask if they were hungry, if so we'd go to the kithcen and I'd hold them where they could see the shelves and ask which they wanted. not many words needed. My one son just said "this" and pointed to stuff. It's not perfect, but giving them the ability to choose from a few options is very liberating to them. and it takes some trial and effort. But it a learning process for the kids. It's good to be able to make choices and also to clean up your own mess.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2009