surgery...nursing..pumping.

i started out trying to bf my premie but she wasnt latching right so i tried that first before feeding her a bottle of breast milk. i pumped about 2 oz from each side if not more for about 3 weeks then i went into the hospital for surgery while she got formula bc of the meds. while there, i was pumping ok and both sides were even...when i got home the left was doing ok but not as much as i used to sometimes but the right was only about an ounce or so. why are they different amounts? in about another week or so i will be able to nurse again but is this ok? im not used to them being different like this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hope someone answers your question because I am having a similar experience. One side I get around 2 oz to 3oz and the left side I can only get 1oz..it's been like that for a week now and I'm not sure why either. I've been pumping the same on either side.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• its normal nothign to be freaked out about. best thign to do is to pump both your breasts that way they can produce more milk. and keep you balanced on both sides . maybe your pumping from one side more often then the other... remember to start with the opposite side each time . meaning if you ended with the right then start with the left. hope it helps , best of luck
    booboo32

Answer by booboo32 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• it will even out when you start nursing again, but please know if just cant nurse there is no shame in that. You and I have walked a very similar road adn I drove myself nuts trying to nurse when it just wasnt working. I couldnt stop nursing (which was actually pumping for my preemie fro 45 minutes then feeding him for 45 minutes and then startign over) until someone had more or less given me permission. Just do what feels right and know thats what formula is there for if you need it
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I don't really have an answer, but I had a similar experience too. My son wasn't a premie, but he wasn't urinating after birth, so I agreed to allow supplementing so we could make sure he was ok. I tried to bf for about two months...it all started with latching problems and supplementing at the hospital and my supply never went up once we were home. As his demand increased and my supply didn't, I felt like I should give it up. As much as I wanted to bf, it was causing a lot of stress. I felt like I was pumping all the time and getting very little for the work, plus trying to bf my son and bond with him. I'm glad I tried for a while, because I really wanted to bf long term, but it just didn't work out for us.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Normal normal normal. All women have a difference to varying degrees. Not a problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I had a problem with my milk supply because of the baby being in the NICU for 5 days. I started taking Fenugreek and holy thistle as per my doctors and lactation consultant orders and within two or three days my milk came in so that I'm getting around 4oz on each side ( maybe a little less on the left) and the baby is only a few weeks old. It works wonders but you have to take twice the dosage and your skin smells like curry but it's worth it because now I don't have to give the baby formula anymore and her gas issues have diminished by at least 1/2.
    Anonymous