My husband's cholesteral meds make him sleepy. What iss a good energy booster for people on lots of heavy duty meds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Health

• Can he take them only at night? That's what my hubby does and he's never slept better in his life but they don't make him sleepy during the day.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 6:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• ask a pharmacist so you don't get something that works against his meds

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Exercise! Start with a 10 minute brisk walk, increase it gradually to 30 minutes or more. It's got to be something that will get his blood moving.

I take plenty of meds myself for diabetes, high cholesterol, and anxiety disorder. I get very sleepy during the day if I don't get any exercise. I seem to have more energy and less daytime sleepiness on days that I do get at least 10 minutes of brisk walking in.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:06 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I agree with admckenzie, though I would also add that you need to check with his doctor as well. I used to be a Medical Assistant at a cardiology office, and doctors need to be kept current on the side effects the meds are causing so that they can determine if it is safe for the patient to remain on them.

In the meantime, like michiganmom said, exercise (within the limits set be the doctor of course) is always a good method for increasing energy. It increases health, blood flow, happiness, and flexibility. Walking is normally safe enough for most patients to do, even if its just a short walk around the block.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 2:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Ask the doc for a lower dosage.
    PrimeRib

Answer by PrimeRib at 2:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2009