You know how the experts all say to give your kid choices when possible? Things like "Do you want to brush your teeth before or after I comb your hair?"

My daughter's replay?
I don't like those choices.

Sigh. Smart little dickens, isn't she?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Challenging!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:03 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son will tell me he dosen't like the choices or wants a third or forth choice. When he was doing that I would say shall we brush your hair or your teeth first? If he wanted another choice I'd say your hair, teeth or time out? Or something else that he didn't like.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• he he he thats so cute.
    dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Yep Amanda, I agree. I either tell her "those are your choices" or "brush teeth now or time out now". This is new behavior and I know she is just testing the limits. It's just so darn funny! I just about fell over the first time she told me that. I was torn between pride and frustration.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• as often as I could I did. and I gave a lot more choices than any of my friends. They always said I gave my kids too many freedoms. they never had the choice of doing something bad or not doing what they should. But they got to chose a LOT of hows & whens.

I am very pleased with how my kids turned and know that those choices were a big part in their independant thinking, problem solving, and lack of temper tantrums.

my oldest liked open choices. "What do you want to wear?"
    My youngest was overwhelmed with an open-ended choice like that and he needed "which of these 3 shirts do you want to wear?"
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:16 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• lol, actually my daughter LOVES to brush her teeth.. whenever I got into the bathroom and she follows, that's the first thing she reaches for.. and the hair brush, lol..

otherwise, choices don't work for her. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:36 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Yeah...I give my 2 year old his choices and he looks away, crosses his arms and says "no". grrrrr.

(basically the same thing your daughter is doing...he's not as verbal)

So I make the choice for him, he gets upset, I tell him "this or time out, you choose" He says his version of "no time out" then accepts the choice made for him. lol

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:25 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• This is the fun I have to look forward to? *sigh*

lol What a smart cookie you have!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:52 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My dtr. still repeats both of the choices most of the time. Then, I try asking if she wants to (brush teeth/hair/etc.) first, or have Mommy/me do it first. We "take turns" doing the same task.
    D1D2ZMom

Answer by D1D2ZMom at 10:26 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• if my child said they didn't like choice A or B, I'd ask them how they think it should be done.

"So, when do you think is the best time to brush your teeth?" and if they gave me something realistic/acceptible , we'd do that.

Sometimes, helped to talk about it a couple hours before- not right at 8 PM when it was time to brush teeth (or whatever task it was). sometimes they needed less choice- like 'do you want to use your blue or your yellow toothbrush?"- where brushing the teeth isn't even the option.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2009