Bumpers in the cribs?

Ok so I am scared to death of sids. And I have heard that your not supposed to use the bumpers in the cribs right. How many of you use them? I have mine in there but I always worry about them, cuz he is starting to move so much, but I also dont want him banging his head into the rails or anything.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• once babies are old enough to move around they are fine. It is when they are not able to move that they are at risk for sids...I think. I used one the whole time.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:21 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I bought some mesh ones that are aproved by some SIDS foundation. They were not as cushy as the regular ones but they did the job and I did not worry about him getting up against them. I bought them at Babies R Us.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:26 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I used bumpers with my 2 older kids and they were half tucked down beside the mattress. With my 3rd baby I don't use them. When she sleeps at the church in the nursery I take them off the crib. I've told them too that I don't want her in a crib with pads.
    My son would bang his head on the crib even with the bumper pads on, good thing about kids is they heal up really quickly. DD most often would get her chubby little legs stuck in the bars, she'd cry and I'd save her.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• We used them for a few months. Our pediatrician said it was ok to have bumpers as long as they weren't the rounded kind and they fit the crib well. Once my son started trying to pull himself up, I took them out, but then he kept bumping his head. I wish there was a way to have something like those without them being able to use them to climb out when they get a little older. I think we took them out around 4 or 5 months.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I just recently saw a show where they suggested not using the bumpers for the babies and I was shocked. When my daughter was a baby, (13 yrs ago) they highly recommended using them, and now they say not to...wow. My son has just turned 7 months and he has had them the whole time. He has done great but I know that isn't always the case with all babies. I even tried taking them out for a week and seeing how he did, but he banged his head way more than usual and I just didn't feel comfortable with it out. So now it's back in and I imagine that once he starts pulling up and trying to stand in the crib we will remove it again, but I think its really a matter of what you are comfortable with. If you don't mind getting up often to check on your baby, which you should be doing anyway, then I would think bumpers are ok. To each their own, I guess. Good luck.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I've had bumpers in my daughter's crib since day 1. She's 7 months now.
    Anonymous