Traveling To London

I have NEVER traveled to outside of the U.S. before, except to the V.I. when I was younger.

Does anyone have any advice on how to plan and where to go in London and the surrounding areas?

LadyChamp

Asked by LadyChamp at 12:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Travel

• FYI: London is EXPENSIVE!!! That's the place where I spent the most money, by FAR! You gotta do the London Eye, see Westminster Abbey, the parliament building & Big Ben, go on a boat tour (those were fun), cross the Tower Bridge, see the Crown Jewels, definitely go on the Underground (which is super easy), see Piccadilly Circus, Planet Hollywood & Hard Rock Cafe are always fun, and see the changing of the guards @ Buckingham Palace. If you'd like any details on any of this let me know...you can send me an e-mail on this site & I'll answer any questions you have! London is MARVELOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    misspriss_mv

Answer by misspriss_mv at 12:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Wow our names are alike!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• That's tight!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 1:08 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Oooh, I love London. I was just there a few months ago. At what stage are you in the planning?

Feel free to message me....there will be a lot more than can be covered in this forum with its 940 character limit.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:03 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I'm at the beginning stages of planning. Like, I just know I'm going. So I'm setting money aside. I looked up the airport that I want to go to and how much my flight might cost.

That's about it.

I'll message you in a few.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:43 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• The exchange rate is about $1.38 to the pound, and London is an expensive city even with the favorable exchange. The food can be awful, especially the KFC next to the Tower. Buy food from markets or even the department stores instead of fast food or cheap restaurants. It might not save you much money but it will be tastier and probably more hygienic. Gas, car rental, and parking fees are atrocious so plan on using the Tube (aka the Underground) for your transportation. Buy food from markets or even the department stores. I really liked the Tower of London (only called "the Tower" when you are in London!) tour and Buckingham Palace. I thought the changing of the guard was really over rated especially considering you have to show up hours in advance to see anything. But above all else...I beg you not to say "Mind the gap" while riding the Tube.
    You can also read Budget Travel magazine or find them online. Lots of info.
    sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 12:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2009