In regards to those realistic babies that are suppose to teach teenagers:

We have noticed some signs that my daughter may be thinking about becoming sexually active and we have been very open and honest with her about STD's and sex and pregnancy, etc., but I am worried that she thinks that raising a baby isn't all that hard. We have a 7 month old and I notice her trying to pretend he's her baby when we are out in public. I can't seem to find any place in town that has those realistic babies that cry when they are hungry and dirty, etc, that she would have to care for 24/7 so she can see just how difficult it really is! And I'm not about to chance it with her watching my son, just in case she looses her cool or decides to neglect him. Anyone have any suggestions, or advice? She's 13 by the way. Thank you in advance.

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• They did a reality show on tv where teens had to watch babies, toddlers, kids, teens, and then old people lol. In that order to see if they could handle a child. Peopel actually "lent" out their babies for this, but they were next door watching on camera, and there was a nanny in the house just in case things went too far. You should try something like that, let your DD watch your son while your in the other room, or just out side...so she gets a taste, but not enough for her to freak out too bad
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Oh, and the show was called "the baby borrowers" I think you should look it up it was cool
    Mikayla_lynn

• Well.. I got pregnant when I was 17.. and honestly I thought it was going to be a lot different than it is. Maybe not necessarily EASY, but as a teenager I just saw it as some cute and fun thing. I pictured myself taking my baby to the mall and looking cute holding her, I pictured all of my friends crooning over her and being jealous beacuse she was so cute, I pictured dressing her in cute baby clothes and watching her sleep in her crib. I DIDNT picture her never wanting to take naps or sleep at night, having a hard time nursing, me never socializing or going out because i'm broke and stay home with my baby, I didnt picture doing it single and alone, I didnt picture losing all my friends because once the initial excitement is over, it's really NOT that "exciting".

The sucky thing is, there's really no way to show her the reality of it. She'll never know til she experiences it. Nobody knows what it's like to have a baby, or t
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:27 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• cont...

to be a parent, until they've done it, felt it, and experienced it. I dont have any advice for you really, I dont think there's a single thing that can stop a teenager's curiosity and hormones. I know nothing would have stopped me anyways, i'm very stubborn, mind you.

Maybe you can talk to her, be open with her. Communication is so, so important. Make sure to stress how difficult, time consuming, and tiring being a parent is. Let her know that her social life would be gone, boys would look at her differently for the rest of her life, she would have to sacrifice everything that is self-centered, and that it's simply alot different than how she sees it.

It does seem to me though that if she's living with a baby in the house, she would have somewhat of a good idea what it's really like. I dont know though.. good luck with your daughter, and I hope things work out with her! Dont expect her to stop fantasizing though :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:31 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• OH and btw, I wasnt complaining about being a parent, I LOVE being a mom and I cant wait to have more kids, I was just expressing how much different it was than I was expecting.

:)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:33 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• kate is right, its NOTHING like i thought it would be and if i could do it all over i wouldnt have!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:36 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• have her take care of him while you are in the house. Sign her up for CPR and let her start some ' 'in home mommy helper' jobs (taking care of the kids while the mom is there doing housework,) then she can soon babysit. babysitting (esp large families and late hours) made me NOT want to have kids until I was older and married, etc....
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Here in MI the PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM has several "Baby Think It Over" s that get passed around to all the female students in Health class.Each girl MUST take a turn bringing this "baby" home and caring for him/her.The doll has a computer chip that monitors how well the "baby" is cared for over the time the girl has the responsibility, and "tells" on her if she misses a feeding, diaper change,etc. Maybe your daughter's teachers would know where to obtain one of these dolls. Sounds like your daughter could definitely benefit by keeping one for a few days. Best wishes!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 1:52 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My 15yo daughter just had one of those babies a couple of weekends ago - she was so excited to get it and so happy to return it LOL She got to keep it for the weekend and was she ever exhausted by Monday morning. So I asked her what she thought and she said that anyone (teenager) wanting a baby is stupid and it should be a requirement for kids to have her class (child development) but at a younger age as the kids are gettng sexually active at a much earlier age now. She also gets to wear the "Belly" which simulates being pregnant - you can feel the baby move, pressure on the bladder, etc. She'll wear it around school for a day - the kids have to get special permission from their doctors to make sure they don't have any back problems before they wear it. I think every school district should do this. I too live in MI so am fortunate that they do it here.
    Luvmycolliesx2

Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 2:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Oh and both girls and boys get to take a baby home and wear the belly :o)
    Luvmycolliesx2