Can you get a Positive pregnancy test if your going through menopause?

My mom is 40 years old and after having an odd period (light and only lasting a day) in January and no period in February she took a HPT. It can back positive. She then took 4 more of various brands which ALL came back positive.

She hasn't been to the doctor yet to confirm her pregnancy but has an appointment soon. Anyway she's wondering if the positive HPTs could be from menopause.

Is that possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont think so. i've at least never heard of that. Woops for her!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• A lot of women get pregnant during menopause---I have several friends that have---shocking but true
    emme1964

Answer by emme1964 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• She's just really shocked. She had a tubal ligation in 1994 but was told by her doctor that tubals that were done more than 10 years ago sometimes come "undone" because the way that they used to do them are not as accurate and effective as sterilization today.

Hopefully we'll know for sure how far along and for sure if she's pregnant. It's just kind of shocking because my sister and I are both pregnant as well!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Wow. Well, its not the menopause making the tests act weird...she may actually be pregnant. I've known a lot of woman that have gotten pregnant during menopause...even months & months after their cycle started to act up. She should see a doctor soon =) Congrats sister-to-be!!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Ever heard of a change of life baby...congrats to your mom : )
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• my mom got pregnant with me and her tubes were tied
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i would say your having a little brother or sister congrats too mom and dad just think of this as a big blessing and help out mom all she needs and don't get mad and mean too her she will need you right now with all the shock she is going threw
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 12:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• for all you who say change of life baby at 40 PLEASE no her tubal probally came undone and id say shes about 3 months have her go to the DR to find out for sure
    ambnwyattmom

Answer by ambnwyattmom at 6:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2009