why is caffiene not good for you during pregnancy?

how would it effect The baby and you?

xaviersmamacita

Asked by xaviersmamacita at 2:20 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you are allowed to have a certain amount of caffeine a day 300 mg i believe... which is a good amount...

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:25 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Caffeine is a stimulant that can increase your heart rate as well as cause it to be irregular, and also acts as a vaso-constrictor, which means that it causes blood vessels to constrict smaller. Since you want to maintain a healthy, regular heart rate during pregnancy, and the restriction of blood flow to the baby can be dangerous, that is why you should avoid it. Having a small amount occasionally, or even daily, with your doctor's permission should not be a problem. In fact, I was allowed to continue to drink one soda a day (I know, its a terrible habit!) until I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 2:27 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Caffeine isn't even good for you or any other adult/child/human. Of course it's going to be bad for a baby.
    PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 2:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think the last person got it but I'll tell you what I learned about fetal development and caffine.

Caffine can raise your blood pressure and/or reduce the size of your blood vessles which can reduce the flow of blood and oxygen to your baby.

It's also linked to higher rate of miscarriage and still birth as well as low birth weight babies.

In fact my professor said that drinking caffine in excess can actually be worse than having an alcoholic drink once in a while during pregnancy.

300mcg or less is considered safe which is about 1 cup or coffee, or 2 cans of soda. However some studies have shown that the difference in miscarriage rates between women who drank the "allowed" amount and women who drank none was up to 17% in some cases.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Caffeine penetrates the placenta and goes STRAIGHT to the baby (who then very slowly metabolizes it), the caffeine may directly affect the babys developing cells. Caffeine can aso cause blood vessels to constrict, and may reduce blood flow to the placenta.
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 3:30 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Someone once told me caffeine makes a bby hyperactive. Not sure how medically correct this is, but I drank a lot && I certainly do have one hyper bby. Hahahaha.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 8:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Good grief, it's OK to have a cup or two of java, pop or whatever you want. Talk to your OB to be sure.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I drank a cup of coffee every morning when i was prego with my baby girl. It did not harm her. I deveolped pregnancy induced migraines, and coffee was the only thing that eased them, and the doctors told me to drink at least one cup a day. I think eveyone has their own opinions on this. I think every situation and pregnancy is different.
    willowbeanz

Answer by willowbeanz at 9:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I drank coffee and soda as much as I wanted with all of my pregnancies....no problems here from it. And I drank at least 3 cups of java every morning...soda not as much.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080121080402.htm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/01/21/hfh.caffeine.miscarriage/index.html

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/01/21/MNIUUHS4F.DTL

Here's 3 sites that talk about how it is linked to early miscarriage. Your baby's heartbeat is so fast and caffeine increases it so it's even faster and then it fails. I think better safe than sorry. If you don't mind the thought of a miscarriage then drink caffeine, but if you want to do everything you possibly can to keep the baby alive then I suggest cutting out any and all caffeine.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2009