Would you go back to work or would you apply for assistance?

I have stage 4 endometriosis and I am scheduled to have surgery. Last time I had surgery, my symptoms were back within 4 months. My doctor doesn't want me working, but I can't really afford not to without relying on assisted housing and medicaid. I have applied for disability, but was told that this isn't a long term, untreatable condition and that I have not exhausted every possibility. Would you take the time off scheduled for medical leave to apply for assistance or would you just suck it up and plan on going back to work? I know with just my husband's income we would qualify for assistance and we would make it with assistance. But I hate the idea of living "off the system". But I struggle every day with work, even walking sometimes almost brings me to tears.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Surgery of any kind is always dangerous. Did your doctor ever ask you if you were interested in taking medication instead? This is the first thing to try before being cut open and might even help where surgery cannot.

Do not be ashamed to get help and if anyone gives you crap, you ignore them because those kinds of people will never understand what you go through until it happens to them.
    PrimeRib

Answer by PrimeRib at 1:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If you need it, you need it...that's what it is there for. For people like you that ACTUALLY need it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Assistance is there for those who NEED it. It sounds like you need it.
    I would apply and and take time off from work.
    I wish you the best of luck.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:59 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• The system is there for those who need it. And it sounds like you need it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:01 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You're using it to help make ends meet while you are getting treatment for a disability that will hopefully allow you to go back to work. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I hope all goes well with your surgery.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• OP HERE
    I have been treated with hormones, however, they more seemed to make things worse than to help. I am allergic to most prescription pain medication so even pain management is a hassle. Surgery is sort of a last out.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried getting on Social Security Disability?
    Anonymous

• OP here

Yes I have. I was told it isn't
    "long term, untreatable condition and that I haven't exhausted every possibility."
    Anonymous