Just had a baby 9 days ago - probably tmi but need answers

I just had a baby 9 days ago. My bleeding was fine when I came home from the hospital - light pink and pretty slow. It stayed like that for a few days then I completly quit for about 2 days. Then started about the same again. The last day or two I've been bleeding for a couple hours (pretty heavy and its gotten bright red) and then I'll completly quit bleeding for a couple hours then all of a sudden start and have a gush of blood and it'll do that for a few hours - then stop - then start - then stop. And the last time I just when I had some huge blood clots; and quite a few of them. Is this normal? Or should I call my doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you up moving alot? Are you cleaning/cooking or doing anything outside of taking care of baby?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• it's normal. if you're feeling pain that's a different story and you should call your dr but it's normal.
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 4:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Yah I have an older daughter - she's 17 months old so its hard to not get up moving around alot. I actually do quite a bit, I never get to just relax
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i say go to doctors, just to be safe, especially having large blood clots
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• not sure what you mean by "quite a few" clots. but i had some...maybe 2-3 a day and my OB said it was fine...just if i had any unnecessary PAIN to call him...but you can always call and ask. they wont laugh at you...they've heard everything
    nikkimichele

Answer by nikkimichele at 4:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I was told that if you are going thru a pad a hour or are passing clots bigger than a golf ball then you need to go see the doctor. If these are not happening then this is normal. The flow will change depending on you activity level.
    mama940305

Answer by mama940305 at 7:25 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I had heavy bleeding on and off, plus the gushes for a long time after both babies. I even went to my Dr because I had pain after 2 weeks. Like the previous poster, if you are soaking a pad an hour or passing really large clots, then its normal. I had a c-section and had pain where they tied off the stiches in my uterus which caused alot of bleeding. normal too unfortunately. Congradulations of the new baby! I wish mine were still that new....*sigh*
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• All of that was normal for me, except the blood clots. It wouldn't hurt to call your OB if you're worried about it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 14, 2009