how common are UTIs in uncircumsized boys?

we chose not to circumsize our son, one of the reasons is that it's not covered by our insurance and we just didn't have the extra $500 to pay for it (my car pmt is less than that!!). while at the hospital, they ran a urine culture because during a normal blood test his #s were up, and it came up as a UTI. he was given antibiotics for 10 days and the culture was redone, his infection was still present but the numbers were low enough for him not to need antibiotics again. we will be running a full screen urine test soon. I'm wondering if the reason why he has it and it just won't go away is because we didn't circumsize him. have any of you moms gone through this with your boys?

suej27

Asked by suej27 at 4:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• UTIs are not more common in circed or intact boys. My intact son had a UTI at about 6 months. Our Dr. treated the infection and then sent us to the Pediatric urologist for an evaluation. The first thing I asked the specialist was "Is this because he's not circd" and he said "absolutely not". They did a test and it turns out he had urinary tract reflux, a problem inside between the kidneys and the bladder. It is fairly common and most kids outgrow it. Ask your Dr. if your baby needs to be evaluated for urinary tract reflux.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• The way I understand it, is that if you keep them properly cleaned, there should be no problems. Maybe when they are older due to dirty hands and touching. As adults, again it depends on cleanliness. Hubby is not circumsized, and has no problems.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 6:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• None of my three boys have ever had issues and they are 13, 11, and 10.  Are they drinking alot of juice?  Sometimes it is too acidic for them.  My daughter could not drink juices especially OJ.  But a friend of mine had to have her 10 year old circumcised because his penis would not retract properly and he did keep getting infections.  Her son also would eat alot of fruits.  HOpe this helps.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• He's only 2 months old so he doesn't drink juice yet & knowing he has this his diaper gets changed a lot and I do make sure I clean him well. Besides, I've heard when you have a UTI it hurts to go (I've never had one) and he doesn't even flinch when he pees (judging by times he's bathed me)
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I doubt it has anything to do with him not being circ'd, some kids (male or female) are just more prone to them. Keep doing what you are doing.

None of my boys (4 of them) have had any problems and they aren't circ'd either.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My daughter gets them but my uncirc'd son doesn't. Some people are just more prone to them(like I am). I don't really think it's an intact thing.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son and husband are intact and have never had an UTI, neither have i. Some people just get them. I'm wondering how you are cleaning his penis? I hope that you are not retracting the foreskin to clean under it because that can cause a lot of issues/
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• that's another reason why we didn't circumsize him, because my hubby is not and he's never had problems. I do not retract the skin, I did a lot of research before he was born and know better than to do that. I guess he's just one of those people that suffers from them - oh my poor baby !
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• actually that's the next step. his pedi wants to do one last all out urine exam/culture/everything under the sun and if he can't figure out what's going on he wants to do an u/s of his kidneys and if that turns out ok then he wants to do the test for the reflux. he wants to do it last because it's more invasive and he's just sooo little still. thank you so much maggie for your answer.
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i agree with the other posters... the UTI is not from being intact, probably just that he is more prone to them. My 6 year old and my 2 year old have never had one. Overall the risk of UTI's in boys circed or not is still less than that of a girl. glad you know not to retract...hope he feels better and that he doesn't have the reflux.
    Daisymae6

Answer by Daisymae6 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009