• In the Spotlight:

how do you potty train a 2 1/2 yr old, that tells you she has gone after the fact?

italiangirl35

Asked by italiangirl35 at 5:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• message me if you get any good advice : ) i'm having the same problem
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 5:30 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Sounds like she's not quite ready but she is getting there! Keep working at it! This is a normal behaviour, and a definite indicator that she is ready to use the potty. After she goes, and tells you, praise her, "Thank you for telling me you went potty!" Then take the poop and dump it in the toilet (showing her what you are doing) and tell her, "This is where the poop goes!" If she peed, do the same, but obviously there will be nothing to dump. Just take her to her potty and say, "This is where your pee goes!" HTH! and keep at it . . . you'll be there soon!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Just part of the process. Try to catch her in the act and tell her "you are going peepee or poo poo. Can you tell me next time" and just stay on it. Eventually she'll figure out what that feeling is and let you know when she's going. THen you start the "very good, can you tell me *before* you go." stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I remember being that age..and I will tell you..I was potty trained when I learned how to walk without falling..sometimes, I would go and not even realize it until I felt something moist in my pants. Your little one is probably very able to potty on the toilet but her bowels are not ready. What my mom used to do was put a diaper on me when we went out but left me diaperless when we were at home. My baby sitter would tell me to go on a bowl thing and dump it in the toilet.
    PrimeRib

Answer by PrimeRib at 1:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• First, remember that there are many steps to learning to use the potty:
    Realizing you have to go
    Getting to the bathroom - which may mean stopping play and asking for help
    Using the bathroom - which includes getting onto the potty and relaxing certain muscles to go
    Wiping
    Working the clothes
    Washing hands

Are you expecting her to learn them strictly in order? Are you expecting her to learn them all at once?

Take her on a set schedule. Every hour is common for beginners. Yes, she may start to tell you she has to go. That's fine. But then she'll start NOT telling you or answering "NO" when you ask because she doesn't want to stop playing. Just keep taking her and never, ever ASK if she has to go.
    This is the first big task she has deliberately set out to learn. Help her break it down into small steps she can master easily. Celebrate each thing she masters. Stay calm during set backs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• They start doing that when they are ready to begin potty training. Praise her for telling you and set up a reward system for every time she uses the potty, ask her to try and tell you before she goes in her diaper but don't push it.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 4:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2009