• In the Spotlight:

My daughter is an only child who is a dog lover. She is a new student at her school this year, moved from state to state twice and has lost 2 dogs of her in the past, one which was my dog growing up and died from old age and another that we rescued and was old with health problems. My daughter is an excilent student and all around good kid but seems to be lonely is a new little dog maybe the answer or missing piece!?! Im not sure if this is the right answer!

cole2823

Asked by cole2823 at 6:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If she is the only child then there probably isn't nothing she can relate to on her level at home if you know what I mean...as mothers we can get down and play with our kids and spend time with them but its diffrent having a sibling...dogs are like family memebers atleast to me anyway...she probably feels like she has lost her brother or sister...I would get a new dog a young puppy for her to love
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 6:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Perhaps she is loney because she hasnt had a stable home where she has been able to make close lasting freindships due to up and moving so far away lately. A dog may help, but I would also try to not bounce her around much more........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I would think a dog would be a great idea. Your daughter sounds so lonely and needs something to make her feel less lonely. Make sure the dog is healthy and that she takes care of it. Also, don't move her around so much so she can make friends and feel stable.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If rescued dogs are important to you stagger their ages. Almost everyone enjoys the companionship of an animal. Especially older children who want to be accepted in a new environment. Good Luck.
    aqsgwama

Answer by aqsgwama at 2:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son is an only child and when our first dog died (he was almost ten and had been around since before my son was born) he was devastated. We all were. When we got a new puppy a few months later it was wonderful and they are very close now and just have a great bond. Obviously i know that our dog is not a person, but he is indeed a family member and is very much involved in our daily lives. I know that my son would be very lonely without a dog or some kind of pet in the home. Pets teach children empathy, compassion, and responsibility, how to be gentle and kind, and give them a being that loves them unconditionally. Pets are wonderful for kids. I would definitely get another dog, your daughter would be thrilled.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think that would be a great idea, it is very important for children to have pets, the teach them responsibility and compassion. Go for it, it will probably do you both good, or for that matter all three of you! Resucing pets is also a wonderful idea.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would get her a dog. Work together to find one that is good for the family. Have fun.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• We are currently looking for a new dog for our family! Thanks for the advice! Im sure it will be a wonderful addition to our family. We are very excited!
    cole2823

Answer by cole2823 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• ask her

Answer by admckenzie at 10:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Well, you say she is a dog lover....and she is a good kid.....and it doesn't sound like you have anything against having a dog.....so what would be the down side? In time she will make new friends but it is still nice to have a dog! No down side, really. And she would probably appreciate your understanding and trying to do something so nice for her. It should be fun!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2009