How much whole milk at 12 months!

I'm wondering how much whole milk per day is the right amount to give my son, he'll be 12 months old soon! I've heard around 16-24 oz's per day..that seems like a lot. Any proper doctor given advice would be most appreciated..I will be taking him when he's 1 but I'm curious to know ahead of time. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our pediatrician told us 20-24oz per day.

It's not that much, really, 6oz with each meal is 18 down...give a little more with a snack or two and there you go.

Keep in mind, though, that he'll not be getting his nutrition from formula or breast milk if you switch...so he'll need to get his nutrition from table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:33 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It just seems like so much milk lol. I'll still be giving him the 12 stage 3 baby food's to make sure he's getting lot's of vitamins..I don't want to rely on what we have every day for lunch and dinner..but I'm alrd giving him our table food (the good stuff) he's chewing really well..but for those day's that I don't make a great dinner etc, I'll have his baby food jar's for back up lol..thank's for the info very helpful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• * 12 month old, stage 3 baby food is what I meant above.
    Anonymous

• We were told between 10-15 ounces of actual milk. Then water from there on. As long as she gets other sources of calcium and fluid. Like cheese or yogurt and obviously water.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I will not give whole milk makes them fat. I will give my son skim milk when he is old enough and not a whole lot of it. A little bit at every meal and thats it. He can have juice the rest of the time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I was told no more than 16 oz. So just call your pedi and ask. I also changed to 2% at age two.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i was also told by my pedi around 16oz. i usually give a milk cup as soon as she wakes up, and at lunch, and with evening snack. her cups are usually 6 or 8 oz.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 9:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• to the anon above..whole milk is OK to give them, it doesn't make them fat! Who ever told you that is wrong. They need the fat that's found in whole milk. That was also said on tv by 4 doctor's at the same time..and any doc will tell you that. By keeping your child from whole milk, your causing damage to them. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR! And organic whole milk is best..most of the toxins and meds the cow takes in, or is treated with ends up being stored in the fat..with whole organic you KNOW that cow was clean and not producing milk while medicated for anything etc. Who wants there child drinking that crap right..keep it green (organic) keep it clean!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Ahh yes to the organic. I forgot to mention that. It really is better and worth it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• And also to the anon above, juice is more likely to make your child fat than any other drink aside from actual soda. It is straight sugar. If you want your child to get the fruit, give them fruit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2009