Can stress cause your period to be late?

Can stress cause your period to be late? and if your period was late, would you still ovulate on time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I know that stress can cause it to be late. I'm not sure about the ovulation.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 8:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I don't know about the ovulating, but yes of course stress can deffinately make your period late... But if you have a late period and have been having sex.. then I would suggest getting a pregnancy test!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• well, i did get my period i think unless it was implantation bleeding but im pretty sure it wasn't. it lasted four days and was a consistent flow. it was nine days late though. so i think when my (late) period ended i was ovulating and thats how i got pregnant. my due date is 10 days away from what it should have been with my LMP. I probably just answered my own question but was wondering if there was any "scientific proof" or if this has happened to anyone else....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I googled, so maybe some of this will help.
    Can I ovulate without having a period?
    Since a woman releases an egg 12-16 days before her expected period, it is possible for women to get pregnant without having periods. Women who are not menstruating due to a certain condition (i.e.…low body weight, breastfeeding, perimenopause) risk the chance of ovulating at any point.. For those who want to conceive, the lack of periods could make it more difficult to know the timing of ovulation if you are not charting temperature and cervical fluid changes. But if you are not having periods and wanting to prevent pregnancy, a form of contraception should be used since there is no way to know when ovulation will occur.
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/gettingpregnant/ovulationfaq.htm

Answer by Bmat at 9:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/gettingpregnant/ovulationfaq.htm

Can I have a period and still not have ovulated?
    Having a period does not necessarily mean that ovulation has taken place. Some women may have what is called an anovulatory cycle, (meaning no ovulation) and can experience some bleeding which is mistaken for a period, but it is actually not a true period. This bleeding is caused by either a buildup in the uterine lining that can no longer sustain itself or by an estrogen level drop. The main way to decipher if ovulation is in fact taking place is by tracking the body temperature.

• Yes, stress can cause your period to be late. I have been spotting for a week and Im just very anxiouse about getting my period so that I can start clomid but I think thats what is keeping my period from coming is bc Im stressing my self out about it. Just try and relax and not think about it, atleast thats what Im trying to do so that AF will come soon and then we can have a baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I just got off of a 63 day cycle, given too that I do have PCOS and that can cause it too, but I think it was mainly stress, and my OB told me that 9 times out of 10 you won't ovulate unless you have AF, but who knows ;) I have heard otherwise!
    briannasmommy07

Answer by briannasmommy07 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• also from http://www.americanpregnancy.org/gettingpregnant/ovulationfaq.htm

Since a woman releases an egg 12-16 days before her expected period, it is possible for women to get pregnant without having periods. Women who are not menstruating due to a certain condition (i.e.…low body weight, breastfeeding, perimenopause) risk the chance of ovulating at any point. For those who want to conceive, the lack of periods could make it more difficult to know the timing of ovulation if you are not charting temperature and cervical fluid changes. But if you are not having periods and wanting to prevent pregnancy, a form of contraception should be used since there is no way to know when ovulation will occur.
    briannasmommy07

Answer by briannasmommy07 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• yes can cause alot of thingss when i was under alot of stess in Jan my period was late and when i got it. it was spoting and i wasnt sure to call it a period and it was a period it was just light cause of the stress i was under

sorry if i dont make to much sents im in a lot of pain
    Anonymous