• In the Spotlight:

Stoping at 2months... to ealry?

I am BF and seem that I have to bottle feed him more and more to keep him happy. So I have decided to stop BF durring the day and only at night at 2 months... Is that to early... I feel like he sucks and sucks and sucks for about an hour and still crys after casue he's hungry. I love it, but I want him to do well. And yes, I have tried to up my production, oatmeal, water... Its just not working... So is 2 months too early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's up to you, don't let anyone tell you different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• that is way too early. I would bf him all the time. He is going through a growthspurt at 2 months and is increasing your supply for him. I bf my son til he self weaned at 7.5 months old and I am still pumping for him because i am against formula. And to up your supply use fenugreek it works
    Anonymous

• that is a choice only you can make. For DS I wasn't producing enough and it was a miserable experience for both of us so I switched to formula. I knew it was right for us.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son went through growth spurts at 2, 4 6 months and he would have to feed for what seemed liked constantly. With him it would only last about a week then we would be back on the normal schedule. I would stick with it. Something that helped me up my production wat Mothers Milk Tea. It can be found at most heatlh food stores and vitamin shops. I would not give up yet, its so good for your baby!!! Goodluck with what ever you choose mama!
    Fractal_mama

Answer by Fractal_mama at 9:41 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You're doing the best you can! Listen to yourself and how you feel about it. Only you can say what to do. But whatever you choose don't feel bad. 2 months is GREAT! Just remember that breast feeding doesn't make you a good mom- YOU make you a good mom and I'm sure you're a great one!!

Good Luck!!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You have to do whatever is best for you and your son, but I would say that it sounds like you will regret your decision if you quit before you try everything you can to make it work. I quit with my oldest after a couple weeks and I've regretted it ever since. If you have to supplement with formula, I would suggest doing it after you've finished a nursing session, if he even needs it after that. Good luck. And I second the Fenugreek reference above..it does help with production.

Also if you are pumping, you will not see as much milk as you produce. You're body will adapt to make what the baby needs. After about a week or so your body will start making more milk naturally.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I produced less and less and had to supplement more and more at around two months.

She is now four months old and I am hardly producing at all.

But whatever I am making she gets...even if it's only a couple of drops on each breast. I gave her formula around 2months...either that or I was breastfeeding non-stop. You can't let your baby go hungry..

I'd do whatever seems to work best for you and your wee one...but don't feel badly if you stop making breast milk. That's exactly why they make formula. ^_^
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 10:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I do think it is too early to wean. Way to early.

Just to let you know supplementing at any point will eventually kill your supply. It is completely normal for your 2 month old to want to nurse constantly, even for an hour at a time. If you have another child to take care of, look into a Moby Wrap. This way you can still get things done and nurse hands free.

I recommend taking a babymoon. Cuddle up with baby in bed for a whole weekend and nurse with lots of skin to skin contact. This will help up your milk production. Keep nursing if you love it! There's nothing better than seeing your LO get so excited as you get ready to nurse--the look on my DDs face when she sees me pulling up my shirt is priceless :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• What do you think? This is your decision. But do keep in mind that he is probably going through a growth spurt.
    Also, are you sure he is actually sucking and not just kind of hanging out there like it is a pacifier? My dd did this at 2 months and was actually starving herself. Is he gaining weight?
    rag_muffin

Answer by rag_muffin at 10:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• This is the bridge BF mothers have to cross. Its the first growth spurt. Between 2-4mos your baby is constantly wanting to nurse to stimulate your supply. Supplementing throws a wrench in the whole system. If you want to BF you just have to commit to nursing on demand. Your supply will increase. Your baby efficiently absorbs all the nutrients from breast milk, much fast and gentler than formula. Thats why they eat more often. I don't know what your situation is, if your a SAHM, or pumping a lot. If you think you can stick it out, do it. I promise you it gets so much easier.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:59 AM on Mar. 14, 2009