What's the best way to treat cradle cap/dry skin?

My 7-week-old daughter has a mild case of cradle cap. Her skin is dry and flaky from the crown of her head to across her forhead. When we hold or burp her over our shoulder, she rubs her head and face on us; when she's lying down, she rubs her hands on her face. I'm pretty sure it really itches.

I've tried using Baby Oil and brushing her scalp; scrubbing off with a washcloth during a bath; and putting Baby Lotion on her. She's had the dry skin for over a week now and I'm afraid of over-drying it with daily baths or further irritating it with the lotion.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

deereporter

Asked by deereporter at 9:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should be bathing your baby every 4 day's, that's what the nurses at the hospital taught me. Bathing every day is bad for they're skin..it obviously dry's it out. As for the craddle cap on her head..all you can really do is use the baby oil and a comb very lightly go over it...I did that and my son's hair fell out because baby hair is very delicate at the root so it tends to break off very easy..my doc told me that! My son looked terrible half bald, he had beautiful dark hair before I did that. So after that, I left it alone and it went away when it was ready to go away on it's own! As for the dry forhead, try purolan the nipple cream we are supposed to use when on our nipples when breast feeding, it's very gentle and I heard it can be used on baby for dry skin on they're face. Ask your doc first though. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• 7 week olds don't need a bath daily. I never did, it was an every other day deal with my daughter, unless she got gross. I was lucky to not have a baby who spit up a lot though.

Baby oil may help, but try weleda calendula oil. Calendula is great for dry skin! My daughter had wicked cradle cap but 15 min with calendula oil on her head, then brushing it off and washing her hair helped immensly!

I wouldn't use lotion on a baby that young either. :)

good luck! it's normal for a baby's skin to sort of peel. My daughter for the first couple months had dry/peeling skin around her feet/knees/elbows it worried me but it's apparently normal. no lotion needed!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:52 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My little girl had cradle cap. I put baby oil in her bath water, and rubbed baby oil in her hair before her bath. Sure she would look a little greasy, but after about a week, I didn't see much cradle cap anymore.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Thanks for the quick answers and advice! I'm a new mom and still feel like I have so much to learn :)

I bathe my daughter every other day, alternating between actual baths and sponge baths. Still, it's only her head/forhead that are dry. I've read that cradle cap is temporary, so I'm just hoping it will pass soon.

Thanks again!
    deereporter

Answer by deereporter at 10:00 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Olive oil works great to get rid of cradle cap. Massage the oil into the scalp and gently comb or flake off the gunky spots. Good luck mama!
    HappyGrl06

Answer by HappyGrl06 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• like the pp said olive oil on the cradle cap and vasaline on the dry skin, especially after a bath
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Aromatherapy!!!
    Bath time fulfills two of the baby's basic needs. Pleasure an hygiene. This special moment recreates their original enviromnent in the womb and helps them relax and enhoy.
    NATURAL BABY BATH can be use on a daily basis as a body cleanser, a hair shampoo and bath foam.
    If the baby has developed cradle cap, a small amount of JUST ALMOND OIL can be applied on the scalp to loosen crusts before shampooing.
    NATURAL BABY BATH FOR HAIR & BODY WITH BAOBAB.
    The natural ingredients in this delicate shampoo for dailu se make it suitaable for delicate cleansing of the body and hair.
    Protects the baby's scalp while reducing the appearance of cradle cap.
    (Use natural oil, not mineral oil)
    http://carolina-whitmore.swissjust-usa.com
    carolina.whitmore@yahoo.com
    YoungSwiss

Answer by YoungSwiss at 11:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I sware by aquaphor. works great, just a little greasy :)
    Anonymous

• I used baby oil forever and it never helped. When I talked to my sons doctor he told me to put triple antibiotic ointment on his cradle cap and then put a layer of vaseline on top of that. The baby oil just makes the scales soft but doesn't heal them. When I did what my sons doctor said to do his cradle cap went away in a couple weeks and he hasn't had any since.

bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 1:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• They make something in the store for Cradle cap. I haven't used it. My daughter had it for like 2 days and that was it. I gave her a bath when I did I lightly ran my fingernails over her head to try to get it off and then when she was dryed off and ready for bed I put lotion on it and with a comb used that very lightly over it and tried to get as much off as I could. I did that twice a day. and the second day it was completely gone.
    proudmom89

Answer by proudmom89 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2009