My 3 1/2 year old has turned into such a tattletail!!!

How do i stop this!? it drives me crazy! she doesn't even have any siblings!!! lol. It's like "oooo mommy grandma put down her drink on the wrong table"! "oooo mommy maggie at school told me no!!" lol... make it stop!

xanayda

Asked by xanayda at 10:08 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It wont stop, my 3 year old dd always does this... It started a few months ago. It is something that they will do.. my dd doesn't have siblings either.. So she is always narking on the cat or dog... hahaha I think it is kinda humorous! Even though it does get annoying!

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Buck up sister, you're in it for the long haul. If you magically come up with a way to stop the tattling tell me please. I've got 3 and they tattle or fight all the time. All.the.time.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• The oldest child typically does this because they associate and identify with adults. So they take on the outlook of the adult and notice what adults notice. All you can do is to acknowledge her but don't react strongly so that she won't get reinforcement. Reply, yes, honey, that's fine, or yes, honey, she's allowed. You should gently tell her in private that she shouldn't do it, and that in school if she does it, it will cause her to be called a tattletale, This is a real problem, because what if she doesn't tattle on a bully or someone doing something harmful, because she doesn't want to be called a tattletale, so she'll need to know when she should report things and when not to. You don't want her to not report just so she stays popular with the other kids, this would run into her trying out drugs, etc, to stay popular.

Answer by Bmat at 10:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My friend's son is 2 and as soon as I walk in the door he yells at me, "Jacket! Jacket! Shoes! Shoes!!!!!!!!" until I remove the offending article of clothing lol I usually bring DD with me over there, and as soon as I set her feet on the floor he runs over to unzip her jacket and take it off.

Her other son is 3 1/2 and is a tatttle tale too. He tells me, "Hope, baby Joli is on stAIRS!!" or "Hope, Logan is jumping on cOUCH!" lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Hmm..... when we were kids if someone tattled we both got into trouble. The person who did something wrong and the tattler. My dad couldn't stand tattle tales.....but with only one kid, I am not sure what you would do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My 3y.o. twins tattle on things their brother did months ago...... It's kind of funny the stuff they hold onto for so long.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 11:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• see the thing is how do you explain the difference between good tattling and bad tattling!??? lol.
    xanayda

Answer by xanayda at 11:36 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think it is sort of a phase....and it will naturally extinguish itself unless you reward it accidentally. So, you don't want to do anything that encourages it....Don't put the child in the position of monitoring anything for you....and then wait it out!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:39 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• tell her that your going to put a tail on her! when i worked at a day care that's what we did to get them to stop and it worked GREAT!! and put a tail on her if she does it again! ( like one of those fake tails you can buy at some stores) GOOD LUCK

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2009