Does anyone put ovaltine in their kids milk? Do you think it really adds alot more nutrition, or alot more sugar? I have been adding it (only every now and then) to my 14 month olds milk cup, is it to early to have her on chocolate milk? I feel the ovaltine is better than just chocolate syrup.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It is fine. We used it, and allow our kids to drink chocolate milk with mix. My 5 year old is an extremely picky eater, and this is what he likes. Our doctor said it was fine. If your child likes regular milk, then I would not do it, but you are the mom, and you do what you think is best. Consult his doctor at the next appointment, but you are doing nothing horrible so don't over worry unless your child has food allergies or other needs.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Why does a 14 month old need either? (chocolate milk or ovaltine I mean)
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 10:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Ask your childs pediatrician!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If you want her to have a sweet snack or a dessert, then it would be reasonable. But there is no reason to put it into milk that she is drinking as a nutritious beverage. If you would hand her a candy bar, then OK, hand her the glass of chocolate milk instead. Don't believe what the ads try to imply, that it is a nutritious food, the child gets a lot more nutrition in her regular food, and she doesn't need a supplement other than any the pediatrician suggests. Feed her nourishing food, and forget using a sweet additive that will encourage her to eat sweets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• When my son was older (2 or 3 years) I used ovaltine instead of chocolate syrup. I felt it added a little bit more nutrition for him.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 10:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i added carnation instant breakfast to my ds becuase he needed extra calories. i would make him chocolate carnation and feed him breakfast.
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• (I accidently hit the post anon button, so I am posting again with my own name so people won't think I am trying to be mean or anon.)

If you want her to have a sweet snack or a dessert, then it would be reasonable. But there is no reason to put it into milk that she is drinking as a nutritious beverage. If you would hand her a candy bar, then OK, hand her the glass of chocolate milk instead. Don't believe what the ads try to imply, that it is a nutritious food, the child gets a lot more nutrition in her regular food, and she doesn't need a supplement other than any the pediatrician suggests. Feed her nourishing food, and forget using a sweet additive that will encourage her to eat sweets. PS: I am not trying to be mean. Ads are made to persuade people to buy and use their product. In the case of ovaltine, you can hand your child candy or a glass of chocolate milk, but vegetables and fruits, whole grains, are better.

Answer by Bmat at 10:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I give my 17 month old some chocolate milk mixed in with her whole milk. I probably put 1/4 of chocolate milk in it. Once in awhile is OK.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son gets ovaltine in his milk. I put nesquik in mine. But ovaltine has more nutritional value than my nesquik. I would rather give him something sweet in his milk to get him to drink his milk than have him go without milk.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• first - i agree, to young - second, why do people give their children a chemically processed powder claiming to give nutrients that tastes like chocolate - if you want your kids to be healthy and get nutrients feed them freshly prepared foods and fresh produce

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 2:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2009