do you think special needs people should be allowed to have children and can make good parents?

My answer: YES! everyone desreves a chance.. they may have more problems and need help and support then a non special needs person but that does not mean they should not have the cahnce at being a parent and do not desrve the love of a child. i was reading a ? on here and another mom siad she would go so far as to have her childs reproductive parts REMOVED.. i was shocked.. that is such a bad attotude.. so i was just wondering how others felt about this..

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That lady's an idiot. Are there adult individuals with severe disabilities who would not be able to care for a child? Honestly, yes. But you can not tell how high or low functioning your disabled child might grow up to be so even the suggestion of having their reproductive parts "removed" (whatever the F that means) is coocoo for cocoa puffs.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 10:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If they are capable of being in a relationship, understanding what a parent/child relationship is and are fully self reliable then sure have a baby. But if the answer to any of those is no, then I think the person who is their guardian should do what they need to to make sure that they do not become pregnant. But honestly the thought of 2 severely handicapped people having a baby and raising it on their own is a little scary to me and doesn't sound very fair to the baby...I would say more mentally handicapped than physically handicapped.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I say yes too. No one is a perfect parent, and I don't think they would be any less of a parent. Some people are just extreme!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• what that women is on drugs and she should be the one not to have children i am listed as special needs do to epilepsy as a child and now my oldest daughter has it too different kinds of course mine was caused by a head injury and hers she was born with but doesn't mean we can't do what anyone else does i have been seziour free for over 15yrs and off meds for 10 and my daughter is on meds and is doing just fine and doctors say she will most likely out grow them on her own also and i am due with my second this may and my girls come first and people like this just down right piss me off if you saw me and my daughter you wouldn't think nothing was wrong at all but then if you looked at someone else who was special ed you may think twice about them its not right people should be looked at for them and not what they have everyone is different period medical or non medical
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 12:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If they are capable yes, let them. However I have a cousin who is severley retarded, and her parents took docs advice, and had her get a hysterectomy. For one because she can't take care of her self, for two because she lives in a co ed home.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 3:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2009