would you serisuly remove your childs repodcutive organs just becuase they had special needs?

I heard this comment from another momma and it shocked me..how absurd!

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Health

• my grandmas helper has a son that is handicap becuase he got a fever when he was an infant and stayed paralyzed cause of that, then he eventually learned how to walk with therapy but he stiill can't talk, and my grandmother told me his mom takes him every month for a special vaccine that will take away his temptation from getting arroused...but I think in the vaccine way is fine but not removing the whole reproductive organs.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 11:01 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think maybe so....I do not have special needs children so it would depend on the severity of the situation. I know a little girl who was had sever Downs and her parents opted to have her have a hysterectomy to prevent menstruation because they feared what that would do to her.

But I also knew another girl that was severely mentally retarded and physically disabled. She was like a newborn baby in a grown woman's body...she was 30 when she died but she had her period every month, her mom just treated it like anything else because she was already in diapers anyway.

So I'm not sure, I'm thankful I don't have to make that decision. I don't even like having my children get shots because I don't like them getting in any pain...I can't imagine voluntarily putting them through such a surgery.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Please go easy on the mom that said she would do this and just be thankful that you don't have to make this decision.

Depending on the particular problem with the child, it could be in their best interest. Some mental problems cause heighted sexual arrousal. Then you have to worry about the child being taken advantage of, or getting pregnant. If your child gets pregnant this is not an easy thing because they cannot always understand what is going on with their body and you risk that the mental disorder will be passed on. It would be a difficult decision, but there are good reasons to do this.

In fact, before WWII and Hitler, the US required mandatory sterilization of anyone mentally impaired. After WWII it was decided that manadatory forced sterizliation should not be allowed, but a parent still has the right to make this choice under extreme circumstances.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I agree with all the posters. I'm glad I do not have to make that decision so I won't judge those that do. Sometimes it might be in the child's best interest...sometimes it may not. It just depends on the situation and the mental ability of the child I guess. It's sad that there are people out there that have to make that choice so I respect those that really think it through and really make the best decision for their child...even if it is removing their organs.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• The main reason most responders were getting upset with that woman was because she said she would "remove the reproductive organs ASAP" and made a comment about them not having a "normal brain". It wasn't so much her comments but he way she made them.

She came across as cold, judgmental and hitlerish....those not in her realm of "normal" didn't deserve basic rights.
    Anonymous