Adoption Gift

My dear friend Paulette and her husband Scott have an adoption date at the end of March for two of their three foster children. We're extremely close with this family - their children call us Auntie and Uncle, and our children do the same. We've consider the children (theirs and ours) to be cousins and we all get together two to three times a week. So, I need some inspiration on adoption gifts for my new neice and nephew, who are one and two years old. I want it to be something very special that will mean something to them for years to come. Maybe something that symbolizes the fact that our two families are made up not only of their children's adoption and our children's adoption, but the fact that we've decided to all be family instead of friends. Any ideas?

MommyAddie

Asked by MommyAddie at 11:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Adoption

• How about a gift certificate to a portrait studio where they can have their first family photos after the adoption? You could present it in a beautiful picture frame.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 3:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Are you crafty?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• A family quilt? One that they can all use made out of some of their old clothes, sewn together to symbolize how they are now one tightly woven family. Or each with a locket and the date of finalization on it. Or maybe even a family photo album with their names engraved in it. Pictures of them as a family included. A gift of a family portrait session with a professional photographer. There are so many things to choose from. But something personal that makes a statement and will last and can be handed down through the generations is something I like to keep in mind.
    Anonymous

• Individual quilts or blankies with their new first/last names?
    Anonymous

• If you go to Etsy.com there are tons of handmade, one-of-a-kind baby gifts. Everything there is handmade and sold by the people that made them.
    KateKevinAdopt

Answer by KateKevinAdopt at 8:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I second the portrait studio idea, many of the studios do nice gift cards
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2009