If nipple stimulation can bring on labor, how do women breastfeed while pregnant & not go into labor early?

I have posted this before but no one answered or had bf'ed while pregnant. So I would really like an answer!!

lizafur13

Asked by lizafur13 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would guess that because your body was used to the act that it wouldn't "shock" it into stimulating anything. That's my official guess.LOL
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• its an old wives tale nothing can send you in to labor unless your body is ready and the baby has started to release that horomone
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think nipple stimulation can help with labor rather than completely bring it on.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:34 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I had a friend that went into labor while breastfeeding. Her daughter was 13 months old and only nursing at night. But her water broke while she was breastfeeding. I am not sure if the two are connected or if they are strictly coincidental. It is a funny anecdote regardless.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• There is a difference with "can" and "will". Nipple stimulation is THOUGHT to bring on labor. (didn't do a doggone thing for me) It doesn't always.

It's not so much that it brings on labor as it is that it causes "cramps" or "contractions" of the uterus. If your uterus isn't ready to deliver, it won't. Think of when you just give birth and start breastfeeding...your uterus contracts.

Personally, I don't think it really will START labor.

However, I am FAR from an expert!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2009