What does your religion say about why we are here?

This is for all religions and atheists. I am a Christian so I am sure you know what I believe if you do not feel free to ask either me or another Christian.This is the most important question that people have in their lives and I wonder how many other beliefs explain,and what that explanation is. I would love to learn. :)

Alize26

Asked by Alize26 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didn't read many of the other posts. Why do I miss all the good ones?!

I agree with many of the other atheists. The only thing I would is add is my own little philosophy. I believe that my purpose would be to leave my environment, culture, and society better for my daughter. I would also add that, as a human, it is my purpose to always help those in need (directly and indirectly). I know that I can not exist happily or with purpose if those around me are suffering or lack necessities. That is a pretty broad idea but there you go.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I don't care WHY I'm here, all I care about is that I AM here. I think part of the reason people need religion is to answer dumb questions like this. Why am I here? What happens when I die? People are so scared to think that maybe life has no purpose and when we die we cease to exist.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:52 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Im here to learn and grow.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Can you both explain it better? Your answers do not answer my question at all. WHAT DOES YOUR FAITH SAY ABOUT WHY WE ARE HERE?
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• IHARTU-let me get this straight your belief is that we are just dumb animals to live once and perish.Wouldn't that be utterly depressing and pointless?
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Does that scare you Alize? Why?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:59 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Wouldn't that be utterly depressing and pointless?

For some, for others it is liberating yet grounding. Why we are here is IMO inconsequential. There is no deeper meaning to life than what WE ourselves make it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• No that does not scare me. It makes me laugh. If your theory is right.(Which I truly believe it is not.) Then how did we come to exist?
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If people are as smart as they think. They should have answers from what they believe in is what I am saying.Still no one takes the time to answer a honest to God question.With an honest answer.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Right on Kristi...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009