Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can she actually do this!??!?! **Totally freaking out**

My nephew has been living with my mother for the past 4 years (he is turning 5 this week). All of a sudden my SIL wants to divorce my brother, take my nephew, and move out of state. She wants to go move in with a couple that she barely knows. She'll work all day and leave the child with the woman while she is gone. She knows these people from the casino and the man has a gambling problem. She is doing this because this couple told her that she can get more money for child support from my brother if she does do this. It doesn't make any sense because my brother doesn't make enough money to make this worth her while anyway. She'll get maybe $10 a week. Mean while, my nephew has never known anything but my mother's house. He has friends and family and a whole life with her which he would not have with his mother. Also, he mother does not even speak the same language as him. Literally. Can she do this?????


Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (19)
  • Have your mother hire an attorney immediatly to file an injunction to stop it. Yes, I think she can do this, but not if you step in in time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • You need to talk to a lawyer ASAP. Your brother should have a say in where his child lives, so I don't think she can do that, but I don't know for sure. Contact a lawyer.

    Answer by pixiestix21 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • I'm terrified because this guy has a gambling problem and could do God knows what with my nephew to feed his addiction. Meanwhile his mother won't around to know anything and probably won't care anyway because he's just another source of income to her. She has had no interest in raising her son until this point. It is SOLELY about money for her. She doesn't even speak English despite the fact that she has lived here for 7 years. She can't even relate to her son, and she wouldn't know the first thing about parenting. She wouldn't know what to do if he had a fever or if he was home sick. My mother has been so much of a mother to him that he actually prefers to call my mother "Ma" rather than "Mema" even though he knows that she is not his mother.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • The best your mother can do is talk to a lawyer with proof of poor mothering on the mommy's part. If they're not divorced yet and on top of that she's not left yet, your mother might stand a chance. Get a lawyer strong in family law if possible.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • You Brother needs to get a Lawyer fast. I think she can do this.

    Answer by louise2 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • How can the court place a child in a LESS stable environment with someone he barely knows???

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • Legally, I don't think that a parent can move out of state without the other parents say so. I know thats how it is where I live. But I would recommend getting a lawyer and FAST.... Before she makes this a permanent thing, and then its too late.. Good Luck


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • Yes she can. You need to find a damn good lawyer. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • Don't waste another moment here on cafemom go get a lawyer NOW!! She can take her child even though she hasn't really been his "mother". Where is your brother? Does he live with your mom as well?

    Answer by Tawanda74 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • Go to a lawyer, and also possibly to CPS. It's things like this that are why they have Grandparent's rights laws.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2009