How do i keep my 2 year old and 3 year old from fighting over a toy when my youngest (8mon) had it to start wit??

I have a 3 yr old, a almost 2 yr old, and an 8 month baby that is crawlling (wit one one tha way).. when tha youngest grabs a toy my two oldest decide they want it and take it from him, making him cry, then they fight over who wants it and hit each other until one cries. My two yr old is a big mommas girl and she is my actual blood child but they all call me mom.. wat do i do when two are fighting over it and tha youngest is crying??

iluvdamion

Asked by iluvdamion at 12:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• put the 2 and 3 in a time out. give the toy back to the 8mo old.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I agree plus put the two oldest into the playpen and let the youngest crawl around and be happy on the outside. Have different toys for baby baby out at certain times, taken them away and put out other ones to keep the baby more interested in being out of play pen than in with siblings. Even if baby just hangs on to playpen and screams to get in, the older two kids' toys are still safe from baby and baby has their own separate toys that eventually they'll go to. Other times gate two older kids into one of their rooms and keep out baby. Don't worry they all grow up eventually and tolerate each other.
    Anonymous

• You take the toy and give it back to the child who had it first. Offer the other 2 a different toy, if they object they get time out. If they are hitting with the toy, they should lose the toy, doesn't matter if they had it first, and go into time out.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 3:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Establish the rule that no one takes anything from someones elses hand. And when they break that rule, then give out consiquences. Who ever takes the toy from the baby should be the one to give it back.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• simple, write the rule, post it, when a toy is faught over everyone loses it for the whole day. it will be back tomorrow but you must take turns, get an egg timer, one kid get it for xminutes. then the next, including the baby...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2009