Okay so my DS (16 months) has diarrhea, babysitter let him drink juice all day Friday, and wont drink his milk cup. I don’t want to give him any more juice because of the diarrhea. He keeps handing me his cup. Im thinking kool aid?? Maybe?? Any suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My pedi always tells me the first thing to do is take away the milk and any other dairy products because it makes the diarrhea worse. he says to keep giving her apple juice, popcycles (preferably 100% fruit) and pedialite for the electrolites that their body is loosing due to the diarrhea. follow the BRAT diet. bananas rice applesauce and tea, my mom always says sweet tea.
    alli286

Answer by alli286 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• water to help replace the fluids. gatoraid watered down or pedialite
    Anonymous

• Water. Also pedialyte or Gatorade to get the electrolytes back in balance. I would steer clear of sugary drinks if you can. But, if you can't get him to drink anything else hydration is very important during diarrhea.

After, I would put an end to all the juice drinking, I don't know if this is true of all kids but it actually gives mine diarrhea.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I hvae seen that too working at a day care. juice and lots of fruit tend to be a bad combination in excess.
    Anonymous

• i would start with pedialyte and then water (gets the electrolytes back where they should be.. gatoraide is much to sugary. and yes too much juice will do that to kids ..

it does it to adults too. from personal experience to much non citrus juice can really be bad (for me 1 glass a day is too much- so imagine what that could do to a little one!)
    cometkatt

Answer by cometkatt at 12:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If you keep handing your child milk. He will eventually drink it. Because he will figure out he will get nothing else.

Answer by louise2 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i had a urologist tell me not to give little ones gatorade. pedialyte is better, but if you dont have any an the diarrhea is not to bad i would not think kool aid would hurt anything. on long trips i make a kool aid cup instead of juice because i want the calories (she very small) but dont want to take a chance with diarrhea, and hot juice is gross. hope your little one feels better.
    Anonymous

• Kool aid will make things worse because of the sugar. Dairy products will cause blow outs. No more juice, obviously.

I would give LO maybe 4oz pedialyte/gatorade every couple hours. The rest of the time offer water. If he won't take the water, add a tiny splash of the pedialyte/gatorade. REmember the pedialyte and gatorade have sugar, so don't only offer those.

And tell that babysitter no more juice!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Keep him on water or milk. Juice, pediallyte, gatorade, etc...all make diarrhea worse because of the sugar.

Water, milk (provided that doesn't usually give him diarrhea) and let him eat all the starches and carbs he will take!

breads, rices, pasta, potatoes, bananas, crackers, etc...bulk him up that way.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• When my son first started to drink milk we had a hard time with him... My husband tryed a little chocolate syrup ( which I was not happy about) to make chocolate milk, but it worked.
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2009