• In the Spotlight:

Anyone ever tried this?

My doctor recently put me on Retin-A 0.1% for acne. I've been on it before, but a much lower dose. My question is for anyone who has been on Retin-A. How long does your skin peel? My face never peeled on the lower % of it. I started using this new one 3 days ago. I know it's going to be peeling for a while, but how long? When I asked my doctor, he gave me a general answer "anywhere from a few days to a month, or more"...lol. So I took that as, he didn't know. Anyway help would be appreciated, thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• When I was on Retin-A I had really bad pustules. One of my mums friends who had acne that scared her face, sat me down and gave me some advice.

I used to put 1000 IU vitamin E oil on my face and remember that Retin-A makes you much more susceptible to sunburn and skin damage so make sure you were a proper sunscreen every day. If you are spending any kind of time outside in the sun you will need sunscreen on top of any moisturizer, even if it contains sunscreen. The vitamin E and sunscreen, even if it is light will most likely combat the dryness.

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Drs in the US don't seem to be concerned about this, but when I was in Australia they wouldn't prescribe Retin-A unless you were on birth control pills as excessive Vitamin A can lead to birth defects. They advised you not use Retin-A for at least 3 months before TTC.

If you are interested in a healthier option check out the acne line by Arbonne. http://try.myarbonne.com

AussieMum2

• in the US, they wont put you on it unless you have a neg preggo test and are on BC.....
    In the US, we prefer to suck babies out instead of harm them with meds
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Have you tried pro-active...It has really worked for me.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• OP here, Thanks to all of the responses. I'm on BC, and just so anon 12:21 knows, I'm 100% pro-life. This post isn't about abortion. Anyway, I have tried both Arbonne and Pro-Active. Going back to the doc for meds has been my last resort. He took some blood too, first to make sure I'm not pregnant and also to make sure my hormone levels are not off and causing acne. All tests came back normal. I'm just frustrated to the point of hating to look in the mirror.
    Anonymous