"The doggy has his own food, and doesnt need to eating yours!"

I am so tired of telling DD this! She loves to eat, she's a porker. But just recently she has figured out how to get our dogs full attention. Feed him her food. I feel like all the grocery shopping I do now goes to the family dog! WTH! He knows not to take anything from her, but if she throws it on the floor he is obviously entitled to it. So how can I get her to stop?! I keep telling her "no, we dont feed Bernie our food. Thats for you to eat, he has his own food in the kitchen." Well she just laughs at me and then continues throwing her food for him. Help?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my kids do the same thing..ive always wonderd if children and animals can communicate lol...i have talked to the kids and punished them for wasting food and i have taught the dog not to take it now...but the way i did that was when the kids sat down to eat i would put the dog outside or in the bathroom or my bedroom untill they were done eating..eventually like after it seemed like forever he kept from taking their food so they quit feeding it to him..ofcourse not right away they wold throw iton the floor but lol it took a while but they eventually stopped
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 1:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I agree, put the dog outside during meal time. And when DD starts throwing food on the floor, end the meal.

I always give DD one chance. She throws food on the floor, I say, "Don't throw food on the floor. All done." and pull her highchair away from the table. I give her 30 seconds during which she is usually crying, then I say, "You want more? Okay. But don't throw food on the floor." I push her back to the table, and she resumes eating. If she does it a second time, I end the meal and wash her up. HTH!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009