• In the Spotlight:

i just need some advice on potty training

I'm potty training my daughter and its not going so well today is day 3 of doing this she only wears a diaper at night but i can't get her to pee on the potty she has 1 since we've started this its like shes afraid to let it go on the potty kinda like shes holding it in until she gets off the potty then she will go in her panties.....its like i'm not getting any where with potty training her any advice??????

tkenworthy505

Asked by tkenworthy505 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she might be afraid, it is hard to potty train but try to make it fun and less scary. maybe let her sit on her potty while you go so she can see how easy it is and maybe say " see pee pee in the potty" lol also when my son just sits on the potty but doesn't go i make a big deal about it, give lots of praise and maybe a little treat, because even sitting is a big step. then when she finally does go give her a bigger treat. also run the facet while she's sitting it also helps good luck.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 1:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• One thing that helped my DD was to read to her. While she sat on the potty, I read all kinds of short books. We bought one about the potty that made a flushing noise. She really liked that. Good luck!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• This is common. If you step back and think about it, you have to RELAX to pee. She knows this is a big deal. She knows she is expected to do something but she isn't quite sure what that is. So she is nervous and anxious - and isn't relaxing quickly.
    Just keep at it.
    Let her run bottomless. You're cleaning up messes anyway and it frequently helps kids "get it" quicker.
    Keep taking her every hour. Once she does "get it", move to every hour and a half then later to every hour. Do NOT expect her to tell you she has to go for at least a year. She may somedays, she may not on others. Help her remember by keeping track for her.
    When she pees right after standing up, say something like "You peed in the bathroom! How about that! Next time you might even get some in the potty!" then calmly clean it up and move on.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I just recently got my son potty trained ( took forever) but ifinally decided To move his potty to the front room up against my bar.. anyways i took his diaper off. and put him som big boy underwear and pants.. I told him when he peed he needed to go in the potty and if he peed in the floor he was going to get in trouble ! I HAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE... LOL I slowly moved the potty closer and closer to the bathroom.. and now he is going all the time.:) good luckt o you
    Dylansmommy2006

Answer by Dylansmommy2006 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2009