Pregnant women smoking.

Yesterday I saw a woman that looked like she was 9 months pregnant smoking a cigarette in an already, smoke filled environment. My neice has had 2 heart surgeries and needs a transplant due to the fact ther her mom smoked when she was pregnant. Would it be awful of me to say something to someone doing this??

armyangel02

Asked by armyangel02 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you don't know the person I would say you shouldn't say anything. Even if you do know the person I'm sure she knows the risks involved and wouldn't listen to you anyway.
    Anonymous

• no it wouldn't be awful and yes it's wrong but really with you saying something make a difference? people are just ignorant and will do what they please anyway no mater who it effects.
    Anonymous

• Most likely she's already heard plenty from her doctor and either doesn't care, doesn't believe him/her or doesn't believe anything bad will happen to HER kid. She most likely wouldn't have listened to you. If she was 9 months pregnant, it is most likely too late any how.

I'd probably say something to her anyway just because that's how I am and I care about children. I would expect a rude and ignorant response though. People don't like to be told that what they are doing is wrong.

I was at the doctor's office one morning and watched a woman bite the fingernails off of her newborn which you're not supposed to do because first of all the mouth is a filthy place and secondly because you could tear the nail beds and cause severe pain. She then proceeded to try to DIG booggers out of this couple-days-old baby's nose with a q-tip. With the child screaming to high heaven the entire time. I regret not saying something to her.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If you dont know them personally I wouldnt say anything. Chances are, if they are 9 months along, someone, including their doctor has told them they need to stop smoking for the health of the baby. And since they are STILL smoking, chances are they really could care less.
    Anonymous

• My sis didn't listen to me when I told her constantly that she needed to quit. I don't think a stranger would listen to you. You can say something if you want, but do you honestly think what you say will have an impact?
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• No, it was just as well that you didn't say anything. She's likely heard it all before. I hope her baby is OK. I am sorry about your neice, poor little child.

Answer by Bmat at 1:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I know that it bothers you, but in all honesty its nobodies business if someone is a smoker while pregnant or not. Its their health along w/ their childs. It wont do any good anyway. They will continue to do what they want.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I agree with Tiffany237....it's really none of your business to step in and say anything to a stranger, who definately knows already the dangers of her behavior.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I actually think that the government needs to step in. I really think that if you smoke while pregnant you should have child abuse charges brought up against you. I have a HUGE problem with women smoking, drinking, and/or doing drugs while pregnant.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 2:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I have to disagree with MizAnn about the smoking part. My doctore TOLD me to continue smoking, just to cut down extremely & hope that someday I can cut down completely & stop...unfortunatly it is my fault, but because of how much I was smoking prior to, & how badly my body was physically addicted, a nicotine fit would cause miscarriage (i've been hospitalized for nicotine fits in the past). You dont know her situation, you dont know HER, & honesty its great that you're concerned, but its none of your business to get involved. I hope her child is alright as well, & that she understands the risks.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2009