How can you keep your baby safe?

I'm about to be a new mom any day now and have always been a worrier...so I was wondering what I can do to keep my baby safe and prevent SIDS and anything else that can harm my baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Never sleep in bed with your baby, always put baby to sleep in a crib or bassinet and never let baby sleep on her belly.
    Anonymous

• http://www.firstcandle.org/
    This site has lots of good info and suggestions. Things as simple as taking out the cute bumper pad and keeping a fan on in the room can help.

And it is hard to do but you have to accept that you CAN'T keep him safe. He will get skinned knees, black-eyes (my daughter has had 2), broken bones, broken hearts. While you may want to bubble wrap him and keep him in a padded room with only soft toys, that's not what he needs. Like I said, it's hard to do but necessary.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You can sleep with your child sleeping with them there is a risk of rolling on them but I'm a co-sleeper and have a beautiful 2 1/2 year old and shes slept with me from day 1.

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/newborn/newbornquicktips/prevent_SIDS.html
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Actually, sleeping close to or with your baby has a protective effect against SIDS. To avoid SIDS breastfeed exclusively, sleep with or near your baby and do not smoke, or let your baby be around smokers. Go to Dr. McKenna's website and find the article "Why babies should never sleep alone: A review of the co-sleeping controversy in relation to SIDS, bedsharing and breast feeding" at http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/index.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I slept with each of my three children when they were babies. I did it only once in a while because I didn't sleep very well. Any time my dh moved, I was afraid that he would roll over on top of them. It was best to put them in the play pen that was in our room. I only did that for about 4 or 5 weeks. By then, it was time to let them cry-it-out at the 2:00 a.m. feeding time. We all needed to get better sleep at night. As for the other safety issues, you will be able to handle those as your child ages. There is one important issue that I would like to bring up. Don't let your baby play with pop bottle lids. They can suck those lids down their little throats. (I know, I am paranoid.) I see danger with many things. You will have to decide what you will safety conscious about.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• There is nothing you can do to prevent SIDS. Sorry, but you can take all the prevention steps in the world, and if it's going to happen, it is STILL going to happen. They don't know what causes it, it can't be stopped. There is a reason it is called SUDDEN.

I'm not saying it's not worth doing what you can to "reduce the risks" but it's so much nicer to just enjoy what time you have with your child.

By the way...breastfeeding does NOT prevent SIDS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• As kaycee14 said there is no way to keep babies/children 100% safe all the time and that is one of the hardest lessons for a mom to learn. The most you can do is reduce the risks of bad things happening. Take the info you get here and look at the links people provide and decide what is best for you and your child.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2009