How would you find funds for NECESSARY meds for your children?

I lost my job and we have no health insurance. We are BROKE. The prescriptions total $1,032. They have to have it. We live in NY so if anyone knows anything about programs in NYS, that would be greatful.

curlykit

Asked by curlykit at 1:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• contact your local pharmacy and ask them for info on state funded insur for children. like some kind of medicaid, or some walgreens or costcos have 4 $ prescription programs depending on the drug. also could call your pediatrician and see if they have samples available. best of luck i know this feels and it sucks:)
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Get another Job. Or go to you local DFS office and apply for medicaid or ask about getting the cheaper virsion of the meds.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• See about getting on medicaid and/or check out Healthy NY.

http://www.ins.state.ny.us/website2/hny/english/hny.htm

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You might consider Ameriplan. It's a discount program with VERY good discounts for your whole Household from $14.95-$59.95 a month. Feel free to visit my profile to learn more.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Also contact the drug companies directly. Many will work with you to get you the meds you need. Another option is to contact Partnership for Prescription Assistance.

The FDA has some good tips too.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I have gotten free samples from the drs when I have told them I can't afford meds....drug companies always give drs free stuff!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Look into Child Health Plus, my DH is self employed which means health insurance cost is too high to afford for all of us, when I lost my job I got the child health plus for our son, there are different levels of monthly premium, but the income guidelines recently changed to include higher incomes, we went from maximum monthly premium to none. You do have to apply for medicaid first even if you know for sure that you don't qualify but don't let that discourage you.
    If you need the meds. sooner than insurance would cover ask the pharmacy if they know of any programs locally to help cover the costs, I think that the Salvation Army helps with med costs, but not sure if they cover everything or what.
    DO NOT be afraid/ ashamed to look into help, it is there for a reason and your tax dollars fund the state programs.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Medication isnt necessary. Medication treats SYMPTOMS not underlying causes. I dont care what it is. I would do some thorough research and put them off the right track.
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:44, are you a doctor? ALL meds do not treat only symptoms. if that were the case there would be no need for medicine at all.

and you don't know this womans situation, i would think if she is trying to find someway to get her kids their medicine that they ARE infact necessary!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• There should be a department of specialized services in your state who will pay for medical bills and prescriptions. You can find it through your state's health department.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2009