When does martyrdom count?

Traditionally, a martyr is persecuted for what they believe in in the face of overwhelming opposition. Do you still get credit for being a martyr if you go around poking people with sticks until they oppose you, when they were perfectly happy to ignore you before your own actions?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• mar⋅tyr

1. a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion. 2. a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause: a martyr to the cause of social justice. 3. a person who undergoes severe or constant suffering: a martyr to severe headaches. 4. a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc.

I think most who claim martyrdom actually fit in this category (def # 4)

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• LOL.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• HE HE :)
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Just like people were once killed for witchcraft there will be a day when the same will be done to Christians. I would rather die then betray my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. i do not know if that makes me a Martyr. It does make me a loving and devoted servant of the Lord.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I guess it would qualify if poking people with sticks was a tenet of their religion! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• * Alize26: most of those killed during the witchcraft trials were Christians that pissed off someone in the neighborhood. The trials were based on jealously and ignorance.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I'm not sure about the "poking with stick" part.... I know that if I am ever given the choice to deny my God or live, they better be ready to off me. I would not want to live after denying my God.
    It is written "If ANYONE is ashamed of Me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, I the Son of Man will be ashamed of him! Mark 8:38
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• The stick-pokers believe they are doing what they are supposed to be doing...It is part of their belief system. From their point of view, yes. They would be martyrs!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009