"Steele in Hot Water Over Abortion Comments" Liz Hallporan, NPR

Just six weeks into an already troubled reign as party chief, Steele was fighting for his political life Thursday after he characterized abortion as an "individual choice" during an interview and said gay-marriage decisions should rest with the states.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101816604

What do you all think? As a Dem, the RNC Chairman is usually not in my political sphere, but this guy has to be making Republicans angry, right?

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• im democrate so i wouldnt know however i would smack him in person for saying abortion was a personl choice
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 2:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• He is like wind blowing..........One day one thing and then the other day just completely different.

You either are pro-life or pro-choice. But he don't know witch side he wants to be.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 2:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• All politicians have 2 views - personal and party. For example. A Democrat can be pro-gay marriage, but, the official Democratic Party stance is no gay marriage ever. So a Dem politician can say they personally believe in the rights of any two people to marry, but they support their party and will not vote in favor of gay marriage.
    This Steele thing, which you've taken far out of context, is about his personal view on abortion vs the party line view that Roe vs Wade is flawed and abortion should be up to the states. Those are not contradictory views, either.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• He's certainly not being consistent with the party line. However, I have read that Republican leadership is trying to redevelop and adapt to the times. Perhaps he's an example-- that although the Republican ideal is to have a world where abortion isn't even considered because every child is wanted and loved, that we simpy haven't gotten there yet.

I have wondered, though, for those that believe abortion should be illegal and criminalized--for the woman who chooses to have an abortion, what should the criminal penalty be? What about the woman who chooses to have an abortion to to save her life? Because she was raped? The baby was conceived out of incest? What criminal penalty should we apply to those women? What about the men who get these women pregnant? Do we punish her for getting raped, then aborting her child? I don't have the answers, but do those who would ban abortions have one?
    Anonymous

• I agree notpanicking
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• The penalty for rape in third world countries is DEATH for the woman! I suppose we should just change the laws so women should have to cover up from head to toe, be controlled and if women get raped they wouldn't have to worry about abortion because both the woman and the unborn fetus would die. Problem solved!!! Abortion will always remain legal for many reasons.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Actually, I agree that all politicians have a "personal" and "party" stance. According to NPR, he said these things in a GQ interview. The full story is at the link, it is not taken out of context, I just did not want to quote the entire story. I have to say, he seems to have done more than his share of backpedaling.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Yeah I agree with you NP to a point.I am confused though on where he truely stands now.I don;t know if he was just catering or what.I do know alot are bothered by this.By the way no the party does not need to move more center or left that is part of the problem the RINOS
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I don't understand how people are either a Democrat or a Republican and agree on every single thing that party stands for. The whole party line thing, I don't get it. I never vote party lines.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 3:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• straight party lines, that is. I make choices based on what I think, not what the party thinks.*
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 3:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2009