What is wrong with my wrist?

I was holding a pot of coffee and all of a sudden I felt like I could have almost dropped it like my wrist almost gave out, could it be a sign of something, I am worried and scared. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Health

• That is a typical symptom of either a pinched nerve, or carpal tunnel syndrome. If you have pain in your wrist, follow the R.I.C.E. formula: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. So try not to use it, apply ice every 15 minutes, wrap an ace bandage around it if you have one, and keep it elevated when you are sitting down. If the pain becomes severe, or you get tingling and complete loss of movement, call your doctor right away so that they can rule out anything more serious.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 2:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Hm. Possibly carpal tunnel, although that has pain. I have had something such as what you describe. My wrist seemed sore and didn't want to hold anything for a week or so, I used my other hand for most of the lifting. I think that I strained a muscle in my wrist. So if you don't remember lifting something that might have strained your wrist in the last couple of days, then maybe the way you help the cup was the problem. So I am thinking you'll be OK, based on my experience. However, if your hand or wrist is feeling numb, if you can't grasp firmly, if there is no reason for it to be weak,such as you lifted heavy groceries, I think you should get it checked. Pay attention to that entire side of your body and face, any numbness? tingling? weakness? if so, get to ER.

Answer by Bmat at 2:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• (more) I see that you were holding a pot of coffee (I had thought at cup) I feel that this strained your wrist. I have had it happen before, and it took a week or so to get back to normal. Meanwhile it hurt if I tried to lift anything heavy. This could be what happened, or it could be something different. When in doubt, check it out. Since this is the first time for you, you probably should get it checked.

Answer by Bmat at 2:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• What other symptoms do you have? Do you have a tingling sensation in your hand/wrist? Pain? Are these symptoms anywhere else-- are they traveling anywhere else on your arm? There could be several reasons, such as carpal tunnel, cubital tunne, blood vessel blockage, or muscle fatigue to name a few. Do what the previous poster said--but if it doesn't work, contact your doctor for an electrodiagnostic test to make sure the nerves are working properly, and any other diagnostic tests to identify the problem.

My leg once gave out on me when I had been sleeping on it funny-- I got up to go to the bathroom and collapsed in my hotel room. It turned out that I had cut off blood circulation (I don't know how) and to be nothing more than my leg had fallen asleep, but I couldn't feel the pins and needle sensation yet.

Let us know how you're doing!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2009