Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support

i have this jackass exboyfriend of my... went crazy cus i left him and we have a SON together....can it be possible of the father to file CHILD SUPPORT on you..without you knowing it?? i mean can he do that..with out hearing for the court or having me sign anypaper?? or telling me any update on it?? is that legal or illegal??? please help...

Answer Question

Asked by goofy_me at 4:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You need to check it out for yourself in your state, usually they go by how well you can provide for your child so if I were you I would start doing my homework and I hope everything goes your way.GL

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • Are you the one who has custody

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • depends who has custody. If he is the primary care giver then yes he can file for child support. A case will be opened and yours and his situations will be examined and then they will determine who gets support and the ammount.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • If you have the kid then no...that is what you should be doing...get a lawyer and get one now.

    Answer by salexander at 4:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • at least here, you would have to sign something saying showing how much you make and what you provide for your son. here it is based off of both your incomes. right now, my SO could probably get child support from his ex-wife if he went to court, but we havent done that because we dont want to screw up the situation we have. legally they have joint custody and she has physical custody, but we actually have them 8 days out of 14. We provide daycare, they catch the bus for school here, etc.

    it can get complicated. however, child support here goes through the court, so you would have to have recieved something from them. you dont just pay him or vice versa. you may want to at the very least consult a lawyer.

    good luck.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • If he has custody he can file to get child support ordered without you knowing but nothing will be ordered until you go to court. The only way the court will order anything without the parent who is going to pay there is if they are served the papers to go to court and don't show up. In my experience though it is 2 or 3 times of that parent not showing up before the court orders without them there.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.