Bassinet....

I'm a first time mom and was wondering if I need to go and buy a bassinet so the baby can sleep in the room with me (no room for the crib) or if I can use the pack and play I have and have him sleep in that while it's on the bassinet setting/adjustment? If that's safe, then I really don't want to spend money on a bassinet when it could go towards other things the baby needs. I want him to be safe and I plan to have him sleep in my room for at least a few months...so a bassinet or Pack N Play at the bassinet setting? Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pack n play is full sized with a bassinette. It's stable for a newborn, but once that baby can wriggle around, no way would I leave him in there. Also, the pack n play takes up almost as much space as a crib. I got a really cheap bassinette at WalMart and loved it. That way baby was right by my side, and it barely took up any space.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My pack-n-play is just as big as my crib. If you have a smaller one, it is just fine to use as bassinett. I personally got both. You can only use the pack-n-play on the bassinett setting until they're 15lbs (or three months, whichever comes first). My son was born at 9lbs 6oz and eached 15lbs quickly, before I was ready to have him go into his own room. So I'm glad I have a seperate bassinett that can hold him longer. Always check the info on all bassinetts to make sure they meet your needs. The weight range is 15-25lbs (and some just specify "up to 6 months") and can allow you more time with your baby in your room (if you feel you need it) than a pack-n-play will.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2009