baby stressed in co-sleeper

My 5 week old has been having issues with sleeping in her co-sleeper for over 3 weeks now. When I put her in the co-sleeper at night..after she is sound asleep, she will start to grunt loudly, pant, "squeal", arch her back and also spit up and pass gas. She eventually wakes up or I cannot take watching her so stressed out, I take her out of the crib.
Does anyone have similar problems or have any suggestions?
She sleeps fine on her own if she is in her bouncy chair or even laying on the couch during the day... but when it comes to her co-sleeper it completely stresses her out.

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 4:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like she has an upset stomach and she hasn't burped properly before bed. It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with where she is sleeping
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 4:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Unfortunately, I really don't think that is it... I have burped for long periods of time.. and she is fine sleeping after eating other places (on her back).. so, I really get the feeling she is adverse to the bed.
    Any recommendations on how to calm her or for her to feel safe and comfortable there?
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 4:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• if you really believe that it is the bed then maybe switch her to a crib by herself. Maybe she doesn't like the cosleeping
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• crib or bassinett, she probley doesnt like to co sleep, sorry
    Anonymous

• also, she will calm down instantly when I take her out of the crib and fall asleep usually in minutes in my arms after I take her out of the crib..
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 5:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• actually it is a co-sleeper, which is a small crib attached to our bed.. once she is in our bed she is happy as a clam! :)
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 5:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Maybe she is having problems with laying flat on her back. If you really think it's the co-sleeper, just try putting her in something else (a crib, bassinet, etc) and see what happens. I don't think it's all that likely that a baby that young would be so opinionated. Good luck though.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I know! :) I wouldn't think she would be that opinionated either! I will try another crib.. but was hoping not to have her in a separate room so soon ...
    Thanks!!
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 5:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• how comfy is the co-sleeper? it may not be soft enough for her. since co-sleepers are kinda off to the side could her bed be cold from the under-draft? we had a playpen that you could set up a bassinet above it (graco) it was great but we had to put a thick quilt down because dd stayed to hot/cold.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Sounds like my little guy, he'd rather root around in my bed than sleep in his own and he's been that way since birth. He'd fall asleep in his carseat, but as soon as he would awake and want fed it was straight to my bed.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2009