What is the best way to get a toddler to start to use a spoon and what are some good foods to start this with?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started with the gerber pasta pick ups and diced cooked carrots.
    tykay

Answer by tykay at 4:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I would try some yogurt or something that will stick to the spoon to make it easier. It will be messy, but they will catch on eventually. They actually make a baby yogurt now that is thicker, so it's not so messy, but I can't remember what it's called. Also, make sure to give them a spoon or fork with each meal, so that they get in the habit of using it. Practice makes perfect :-)
    Stephanie15

Answer by Stephanie15 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• mashed potatoes is also a really good starter food for spoons and it will definantly be messy but fun too!!
    theirmommy06

Answer by theirmommy06 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Yogurt mixed with cheerios will be nice and thick and stick to the spoon nicely.
    It's actually easier to learn to use a fork first.
    Give your toddler silverware at every meal and eventually your LO will learn to use them!
    My lil men are 27 mos. They mastered the fork by 15-18 mos but didn't start to really use it regularly until they turned 2. Thankfully they mastered and have used a spoon consistently since they were about 18 mos.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Oatmeal, soup with crackers mixed in....anything you can give them "stiff" but that still should be eaten with a spoon.

When we first started, if it didn't STICK to the spoon, I didn't give it. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Thanks for asking this! I've been needing to find out how to get DD to master the art of spoonery lol Right now she thinks spoons are toys though--she finds them very distracting, and instead she bangs it on the table!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son used to get distracted by them too. This sounds silly, but I would talk about my spoon or fork while we were eating so he would know what they were for. He quickly learned and uses them at every meal, now.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2009