My 15 month old loves his pacifier what are some good methods of breaking him from it?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not so much of a softy as alot of moms are.. so my suggestion would be to just take it from him and dont give it back. In a week he will have forgotten all about it. Never had to break a kid from a binki, but thats how i did it with sippy cups.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Take all his pacifiers and throw them in the trash. He will get use to not having one.It's not like it is necessary.

Answer by louise2 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I've raised 4 kids, and the best way I've found for getting children to give up childish things is to tell them that they will give it up when they are big. Works every time---just give them a little time to think about it. If it doesn't work right away, then it means a lot to them and shouldn't be rushed.
    SusanC_K

Answer by SusanC_K at 4:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• An old man told me to snip the end off like a 1/4 inch of the paci and my child would throw it down on their own, do it to all the paci's and put them back where you found them.... Cutting the end of just a little changes how it feels in their mouths. Of course I did not believe the old man, but decided to try it anyways, my son put the paci in his mouth and took it out to look at it, then he threw it down and found another one; he did the same thing, and never wanted it again. No fuss, no sleepless nights... Needless to say, I wish I had met that old man when my DD was a baby, it would have made my life so much easier....Try it, hope it works as well for you as it did for me.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• at 15 months they still have a strong urge to suck. So, that wil be a tough one unless you are going to replace it with something else they can suck. at 15 month he's still a baby.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I made mine quit cold turkey. One night I could find it before bed and he actually went do with out it, he was so tired. That night I found every single binky in the house and hid them. In the morning he looked around for it briefly, but when there weren't any to be seen he got over it. It seemed to work well, but I know plenty of parents with kids older than yours still sucking a binky. No biggy. It's better that then their thumbs and stuff.
    kryjen

Answer by kryjen at 6:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I agree, cold turkey. And throw them away or get them out of the house for awhile if you want to keep them for the next kids so you won't be tempted to cave. It may be a rough few days but he'll get over it. I don't agree with pp that at that age it's about the urge to suck. Sure they still like to put things in their mouths and will for a long time, but at 15 months he just depends on it because that's what he knows. He doesn't need it. Be strong! Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• it's called Tough Love, if you really want him off the pacifier and soon. You have to take it away, throw them all away and say there's no more, it's all gone. It may take a few days or so, it will be hard, but you both will get through it. I was lucky, my daughter never wanted the pacifier. I breastfed her until she turned 14 months old and she will only drink water out of a sipi cup, but only wants milk out of a bottle. Well, yesterday I threw away the bottles and said, here...you have two sipi cups, one with milk and one with water...she never touched the milk, all day yesterday...but she drinks plenty of water and eats plenty of calcium enriched foods all day long. It's definitely awful to see your baby cry when their so used to something and it's been taken away. I hear it works though, so, I'm kinda right there with you...
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2009