Sugar Glider

My SO and I are thinking about getting 2 sugar gliders. Does anybody on here have one? If so, do you regret getting them?

Proudmomof82008

Asked by Proudmomof82008 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Pets

• I have one.

Do your research before you get one.

They have specific nutritional requirements as well as a large habitat.
    Otherwise, she's really fun and really cute.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 6:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• We had two. To my knowledge they must live in pairs (pp may have more info). We obtained older gilders that needed a safe home to live out their remaining years. They were fun & had unique personalities. You can learn a lot on the internet about them. They make cute noises (and @ first some not so cute ones) called crabbing. The only downfall was that they have on bowel control-so when you have them in your hand be prepared (we used towels/sheets just for them when we got them out) I am willing to answer any questions you may have.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 7:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think I have heard they are fun I think in captivity I have heard they have a short life span so if you were going to get osome find a resposible breeder and if you googgle them you can get the info. before the heart ache if they are hard to keep alive we have had trouble with hamsters it is not fun
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I used to have two of them. They were the absolutely WORST smelling creatures I have EVER allowed into my home!!!! I cleaned the cage like a BAZILLION times a day, didn't matter. In no time flat, they'd be smelling like something I may not be allowed to say here....it was so bad, I ended up banishing them to the spare bedroom, within a couple of weeks, I had managed to accidently off the little stinkers with air freshener sprayed liberally in the spare room where they were kept. It was an accident, but I can't lie & say I was overcome with grief during their passing...........I might add, as a hobby/interest, I have a permit to rehab wildlife, so I've had a WIDE variety of critters to compare them to, & they beat ANY & ALL on stink-factor!!!!!
    maksmom2

Answer by maksmom2 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I personally don't have a glider, but mom does. He is single and has lived that way for over 2 years. I have never noticed a smell. But they do have special diet needs. The little guy is very tame and does wear a leash and harness made for him when out visiting. When ever mom travels he goes to his girlfriends house. The two do get along great together in the same cage and even had some babies if this happens they depend on both gliders to care for the new ones. The mother glider does need an even more specialized diet before getting prego. I do believe you need a special permit to have as pets depending on where you live.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2009