300,000 Jobs for Illegal Immigrants? Why does The Heritage Foundation think Obama's jobs creation will be so successful?

The Center for Immigration Studies and the Heritage Foundation, both conservative organizations, have put forth this estimate, saying that 300,000 of the construction jobs created by the stimulus package "could go" or "would" go to illegal immigrants. Media reports in early March quoted their studies. To be clear, there is no provision in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act that sets aside construction jobs for illegal immigrants. In truth, no one knows how many workers who are here illegally might end up with a job funded by stimulus money. But the calculations behind the 300,000 figure are highly questionable. The number is more than half the number of infrastructure jobs the White House says will be saved or created.
http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/will_300000_illegal_immigrants_get_construction_jobs.html

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't want to cut and paste the whole article, but the link will have the full piece. What do you think of the Heritage Foundation and The Center For Immigration Studies using unbelievably high job creation numbers to arrive at this estimate, while also detailing why the Stimulus Package is doomed to fail at job creation?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• First of all, NONE of the jobs created should be allowed to go to illegal immigrants. Why that would be even an issue is beyond me. It should go to the American people and the immigrants with the proper papers. But, the jobs created should be given by skill and knowledge just as usual. I never did understand where all these numbers come from that are posted. I have seen other news stations and journalists and economists say this stimulus will fail because of the amount of pork compared to actual help for the people. Guess we will have to wait and see.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It's because we have so many lazy butt American's who don't want to get their butts up off the couch and do some serious labor.. instead they choose to be unemployed on welfare and fat. Yes, we have lazy Americans. Why shouldn't they take these jobs? They are the ones who will do the work. American's don't know what hard work is all about, they like to whine about the economy but will do nothing to change their ways. Go figure!!
    Anonymous

• Ahh come on now anon lol my husband has busted his a$$ from age 14.We have never went without because he won't allow it.I a stay at home mom for now bust my a$$ doing my part.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I do agree though that we have our share of those who just want to sit and have the government do for them.It's sad.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Not all people are lazy. Many don't even know how to use a shovel or a hoe because they grew up in the city and no one took the time to show them. We are so concerned with technology that we forgot about the jobs that require skilled labor. We need to teach more of these things to our kids but we don't. The funny thing is that most country kids know these things because that is a way of life for them. They know how to use a shovel, a hoe, the difference between a weed and a plant, how to chop wood, how to mow hay and bail it and put it up in the barn. They know how to build and and work hard long hours. They know these things because country folks teach their children these skills to go out into the world. Our schools should have tech centers to teach these things also. Computers and technology do not make up the whole world.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• it has become aparent to me that education beyond highschool has become overrated. i have a college degree and am running a laundromat. i wanted to work. i wanted my degree to help people. instead they wont pay me what im worth. why on earth should i teach my kids otherwise? achievement means nothing even if you bust your !@#. chicka:)_
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• forever we had that in high school. We had vocational and you could choose tons of different opitions from farming, hair, computers, mechanics, drafting the list goes on. You could spend 2 years of HS in classroom learning that field and then 1/2 the day doing on the job training.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 7:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Thes jobs are not for illegals so none so be given. Anyway, Dems don't think Obamas 3-4 million is high so why would they fuss about 300,000 sounding high. Hypocrites again
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• If you read the link, the numbers I am referring to are from the Heritage Foundation, much higher then Obama is claiming will be created in infrastructure. I am saying the hypocrites are not the dems, but the Heritage Foundation.
    As far as any jobs actually going to illegals, the companies that hire them are at fault for that, not the Dems.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009